Categories

Soft spot in deck

Question Icon
Vancouver
2/2/2006 at 6:21:23 PM

I have a soft (water rot) spot in my upstairs deck. The deck also doubles as my livingroom ceiling. I've got 2 opinions on why there's a soft spot. First, the membrane wasn't caulked properly and water got in. Second, because there is warm/cold air with the deck acting as a ceiling, that inadequate ventilation led to condensation and a soft spot. Any ideas as to whether this is an expensive fix or not?

REPLIES (3)
User Icon
Near North Construction in New Lowell
Date/Time2/7/2006 at 3:40:55 PM

If I am understanding correctly, your deck is over top of your living room roof. If that is the case, the deck will need to be removed and be constructed properly , which was not done in the beginning. It needs to be done right or you will run into more problems in the future. If I can be of further assistance call me.

Near North Construction

705-737-1184

User Icon
Baeumler Quality Construction and Renovations Inc. in Oakville
Date/Time2/26/2006 at 2:30:52 PM

Jennifer, don't jump the gun! It's not necessarily built incorrectly - there's a few more variables to consider - i.e. how old is the house? Is it sitting on a flat roof? Is it a floating deck on torch down, or tar and gravel? Is the roof below completely flat? Is it the entire deck, or just a few rotten deck boards? Is it built from cedar, SPF, PT?

In order to prescribe a fix, someone would have to take a look at it - you don't want to assume you have to rip the whole thing off and replace it if you only need a few fresh piers for it to rest on, or a few new deckboards. It could be a simple fix, or it could be costly, but don't let someone just come in and sell you on a $10,000 fix without having a few people look at it and providing a few opinions.

User Icon
Wayne from KGM Roofing & Home Improvement in Wilsons Beach
Date/Time6/2/2008 at 7:28:14 PM

I agree with brian

If it were me I would call both deck guy and a roofer also it would be advisable to call a home inspector if you are not sure 300 verses 10000 while not being sure if it will fix te problem

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x