The Early Beginnings of Window Coverings
Window covering design has come a long way since the mid 1700s when wood Venetian blinds first made their appearance. Lightweight horizontal slats of wood held together by cords, the blinds could be adjusted to regulate the amount of light entering the room.
This new invention gave homeowners an option other than standard drapery and wooden window shutter styles; long favored choices for centuries. Even so, Victorian window treatments most often consisted of drapery made from decorative fabrics. From sheer lace to heavy brocade panels; the most fashionable window drape length (except in the kitchen) was cascading from the top of the window s interior casing to the floor.
Some time during the 1840s, flat strips of cloth replaced the Venetian blind cords, minimizing the amount of light filtering through the lift holes. By 1946 lightweight aluminum blinds had been introduced. And then in the 1960s Venetian blinds were once again updated. This time with a new pulley system, greatly enhancing ease of use and light adjustment efficiency.
Throughout the 1960s, a roller window blind was one of the most popular window blind choices. And then in1979, narrower slats replaced the wider ones, heralding in what we now call mini blinds.
Since then, window coverings have exploded with countless options and design choices. Contemporary window covering options have totally revolutionized window idea decorating; the importance of window features, and the purpose served.
Modern Window Covering Options
Today s window covering options include many practical aspects. They help to control the amount of natural light filtering into the room. They also provide privacy, insulate against both heat and cold extremes, and include child safe features not available in years past.
At the same time, modern day window treatments make a distinct fashion statement; complimenting interior design, and enhancing room decor and ambiance. In fact, the right choice in window covering can turn the ordinary into extraordinary. Whether designer shades, a custom window drape, or real wood mini blinds; a solar window screen, a louvered wood shutter, or some other type window feature.
Homeowners have nearly countless types of window enhancement features from which to select. While a wide selection is good, it can also complicate matters.
Take blinds, for instance. Instead of simply having to determine what color to select type, style, and added features must also be decided upon.
Consider the different types of window shades now available:
- A vinyl or fabric window shade
- woven wood shades
- a paper window shade
- cellular shades 1, 2, and 3 cell
- solar shades
- a Roman window shade
- horizontal and vertical shades in a variety of styles
There is a nearly endless list of colors from which to select; solids, patterns, and designs. As well as texture and material type considerations. The choice can further be broken down into whether to select a lightweight, medium weight, or insulated window shade; sheer, light-filtering or blackout
And then which particular features to include; a pull or a wand, cord or cordless, manual or motorized. Located on the right or left side; to draw the shade up or down from the bottom or top. Or even from side to side.
The Choice is Yours
When it comes to window covering design selection, the choice is up to you. Even so, input from a window designer, home staging professional, or ideas gleaned from home interior decorating idea magazines and television programs can prove invaluable. Even if your window covering idea is a do it yourself project, these resources will help steer you in the right direction.
With focus on modern window shade trends, the list below includes some of the more popular available choices, and a brief description of each:
- Natural shades made from such eco friendly materials as wood, bamboo, reeds, exotic grasses, or any number of about 60 other available options; singularly, or in a blend of two or more materials. Available in a variety of styles.
- Woven wood window shades in narrow, delicate weaves for understated beauty. Or slats woven together for a bolder statement. Consider handmade designer shades, stained or painted; in a variety of patterns and styles; flat, pleated, textured, or hobbled.
- Fabric Shades available in endless styles, colors, and designs; whether relaxed and casual, coolly sophisticated, or elegant understated or elaborate. For extra privacy, light control, and insulation select styles with a blockout lining.
- Roman window shade treatment a great choice for clean, classic lines and for combining the beauty of fabric with added privacy and the ease of window shade operation. Available in various designs using supple to stiff fabrics. In classic flat fold, soft relaxed fold, billowing teardrop fold, and scalloped hem styles.
- Solar window shades a clean, modern approach in solar window covering. Made from solar screen material that allows you to enjoy scenic outdoor views; providing privacy and reducing sun heat and glare, while protecting room furnishings from UV damage. Available in semi-sheer to opaque fabrics; measured in degrees of light penetration called openness. The higher the degree of openness, the lighter the material and more unobstructed the view.
- Cellular shades ultra chic and beautiful. Whether horizontal or vertical cellular shades; a cordless cellular shade or one with a cord, continuous or not. Also known as honeycomb shades, cellular shades have a unique hexagonal cell design; creating still air pockets for significant insulation. Yet they weigh very little and are surprisingly economical. Petite cell shades are great for small to average sized windows; grand cell shades perfect for large-sized windows. Available with 1 to 3 cell layers that can block up to 99% of harmful UV rays. In countless styles (including room darkening), and colors; soft and subtle to deep and rich.
- Pleated shades also referred to as pleated blinds, add style and a touch of class to room decor and are highly affordable. Their attractive, crisp, neat pleats compliment nearly any type window; including hexagon and dome-shaped. Available in a nearly endless selection of colors, and textures; in a variety of styles, including top down/bottom up. Select quality shades for durable, year after year service; in fabrics that resist fading and sagging.
Of course, there are other types of shades from which to select.
Room decor idea: one of the newest innovative window treatment trends for large windows and sliding patio doors is to combine two window features for one great look. Sheer window shades for enhanced room decor and modest privacy, with the ease and light control capacity of vertical blinds.
More attractive than a sliding glass door drape or vertical blind alone. A wonderful way to compliment room decor, while softening and diffusing natural light to create just the right mood.
Window Covering Design Decorating Ideas - Part 2
In part 2 of Window Covering Design Decorating Ideas, we will discuss other types of window treatments; including blinds, shutters, curtains, and drape options interior as well as exterior. Also, innovative decorating ideas to enhance room decor.
In the meantime, you can sign up without cost at TrustedPros.ca and receive a free quote from a Canada home staging professional or expert window treatment designer for your window covering update project.
Simply post project requirements online with our user-friendly tools, and then sit back and wait. Area service providers will vie for the job, providing competitive bids within days- even hours from project posting.
View each candidate s portfolio online at your convenience; including company profile, references, client comments, licensing, certification, and insurance information. As well as pictures of recently completed projects. And then make an informed hiring decision, or hire no one at all. Remember, there is no obligation whatsoever, and services are FREEPosted by: TrustedPros