His name is Detlef Wiedenhoft. He sounded like he knew what he was doing. "30 years doing renos in the most expensive homes in Toronto" he said. It was a disaster:
- turned on the house water after roughing in the plumbing, without checking to see if the taps were turned off. Poured water all over the unfinished shower floor, which leaked through the newly installed kitchen ceiling drywall. That had to be ripped out and replaced.
- didn't grade the shower floor properly, causing water to pool over one half of the shower floor. Ordered him to redo the floor.
- he only ripped out a small section, and built it up so it wouldn't pool. Before it set, I inspected. The worst job I've ever seen. Misaligned tiles, and ledges between the replaced and non-replaced tiles which were at least 4mm high. Ordered him to redo it again.
- did it again, but used the wrong grout. Completely different colour.
- still does not drain properly. It pools in the same spot. I have to squeege the floor after every shower every morning or it will still be there 24 hours later.
- large chips out of the porcelain wall tiles where he cut them, which he installed anyways even though had 10 extra tiles.
- unprofessional stainless steel shelf border installation, which has sharp edges protruding.
- didn't caulk the corners properly.
- left gaps in the grout where water could leak through
He took off after slapping in the floor tiles for the third time, and when I said it still pools, via multiple phone calls, text messages, and email, I have still to hear from him.
He could have gotten a friends $8,000 three bathroom reno, which I told him about, but told my buddy to stay away.