Jan 10th 2017
I have a civil clamin against this company; they didn't show for court.
Make sure you also review the BBB website for all the complaints!
The store is now vacant, look elsewhere for a ethical contractor.
I read Jacob's comments but its not the truth, if you don't pay your sub contractors they are not going to show up for work; why would I stop the work that I have already pre-paid for? (that makes zero sense as Jacob has 70% of the budget costs.
I have submitted a claim with the BBB, City of Calgary and Alberta Consumer Complaint.
I'm moving on with a new contractor to finish the work.
Thanks for reading my review
Update Sept 1st 2016 -
I have put the company on 15 day termination notice, it has been 8 business days and no one has been back tot the project and the Sub has not been paid, I will keep you updated.
I’m writing this review on Aug 26th 2016 while in the progress of the Reno.
We hired Kitchen Bath Design (Global Stone INC) May 28th 2016 and are working with Jacob currently, Jacob seems very experienced, friendly, knowledgeable and has good reviews.
I liked how we were able to pick from various selections and Jacob had great suggestions on what items to pick.
I liked how Jacob wrote up a contract with all the items to buy and what was being installed and the payment schedule seemed good (50%) down payment and 3 other payments (20%, 20%, 10%) as certain goals are met during construction.
The Good –
Supplies are ordered and onsite, the sub contractors work seems good and professional quality.
We are about 4 weeks into the project, electrical, plumbing, tub frame are complete.
The Concerns -
The project was suppose to start on July 4th but due to shipping delays of the jetted tub the project started on July 23rd 2016.
There seems to be lack of communication between the sub contractors and Jacob, on various things like what work too complete, time to show up at the project. I found the sub contractors would just randomly show up at my home and expect I’m home or show up hours later or not show up.
Jacob asked for one of the 20% goal payments on Friday July 29th even though the construction goal was not met, he said he had to pay the sub contractors (this raised a flag) but I agreed to pay as Jacob promised to meet the goal that weekend (July 30th, July 31st). After Jacob left the project; I asked the Sub Contractor what time to expect him on the weekend, he indicated he is not working this weekend so the goal was not met that weekend.
As of Aug 22nd I have no sub contractors at the project, the sub contractor will not work on the project until paid by Jacob.
Jacob is currently out of town and has no way to pay the sub contractor so Jacob asked me to pay the sub contractor $1,500-$2,000 directly from the next 20% goal payment. My concern is these goal payments are in place on a signed contract to protect both parties and ensure to have the job is completed.
I have refused to pay the sub contractor directly as I pay Jacob and he is in charge of the sub contractors; now the project is on hold waiting for Jacob brother to come to Calgary which should be mid week Aug 31st to continue the project.
I will keep you updated on the progress and how it all turns out.
Response from Kitchen & Bath Design and Renovation Center
That's a copy of my email to the costumer after I saw his review:
Sorry about the delay with my reply, I had to talk with Ray and make sure I understand what's happening.
I found out that you wrote at list 2 reviews right after we talked last week and agree about the way that we proceeding with this job.
Last week I asked you if you can give some money to my subcontractor, Ray, since I was away for emergency and he had to buy some products for your job. I never told you that if you will not make a payment we will stop the job, and I told you that if you will do it we will deduct it from our balance. We never asked you to add any extra for this job despite the fact that we had some plumbing complications. Our policy is to finish every job with the original budget that it was started. My understanding from you was that it shouldn't be an issue, and you just asked me to ask Ray to rush the job.
Ray called you and ask if you can prepare for him the payment. for some reason you changed your mind about that (which was ok, because you didn't have to pay right now by the contract), but for some reason you told him not to come to work, and that you consider to get someone else to do the job.
We had few conversations after that, and I told you few times that the payment is not a condition, and Ray can come to work, or you can wait till my brother will come back to Calgary this week and handle the rest of the job. You told me that you don't mind to wait to my brother.
My understanding was that you don't really want Ray to come back (despite the fact that you told me that you are very happy with his work and with the other trades' work), and I was very surprised to hear from Ray that you offered him to complete the job directly.
We did the hard part of this job, and we already supplied the majority of the products there. The job was done in the best way that possible, and you got the high end products that you choose.
I don't think it was fair to send this reviews right after we talked and agree about the way that we proceed. I don't think it was reasonable to tell my subcontractor not to come to work and that you consider to hire someone else, and than to approach him and ask him to do the rest of the work directly . But you are the costumer, and if at this point we don't have full trust between us, and you want Ray to work directly for you, I will let him do it. We just need to check the balance between us and see if there are any differences that need to be covered.
*** Just want to add here that while we agree last week that we will be in his house on Wednesday(yesterday) because he didn't let my sub contractor to come last week to work, Mr. Macdonald sent reviews all over and complaining that we didn't work for 8 days (which he agree for that), and at the same time approaching my sub contractor to come and do the rest of the job directly. I don't know what is the reason for that. maybe he think that he can save that way (most of the job done and the expensive products supplied. We really respect our costumers, but it look like this guy running a campaign in matter to hearth us (despite the good work we are doing and he even said that in his review),we can't keep negotiate with him while he is doing it, and we are taking this case to court.