Modern Image by Design is a family owned and operated full service general contracting company. Servicing the greater Ottawa are, we offer competitive rates, experience, quality, and professional workmanship. We will provide you with a clear and complete scope of work containing all aspects of your project. 100% guaranteed customer read more...
We will never allow businesses to pay for review alterations, editing, or removals. Published reviews have undergone strict examination to avoid fraudulent/fake review posting. Learn more.
Our experience with Modern Image by Design (MID) has been extremely disappointing at best. After four months since MID disassembled our functioning kitchen, we have lost faith in this company to complete our kitchen renovation professionally. Rather than tell a long recounting of a four month story, I will try to list the main parts of the story from a consumer perspective.
1. $18500 + $1200 (accessories) paid to MID according to the contract. Work has been disappointing to the point other contractors brought in to fix the damage caused by MID have suggested legal action maybe warranted. MID has not delivered anything of any value and refuses to refund the money (Mark Sr has not provided a reason for the refusal). According to MID none of the product has been ordered so we feel like we have been robbed of $20000 dollars. We will be pursuing this in small claims court.
2. Despite having a valid contract, MID has completed approximately 15% of the work in four months. We have not had a functioning kitchen since May 9, 2022 today is September 18, 2022. This project was supposed to take 2 weeks and 3 more weeks for the countertop. They appear to continue work on other contracts without concern for our project.
3. MID took minimal precautions to protect our house. They never installed dust protection. We have spent a week (they were supposed to clean up but never did) trying to make our main floor livable again (we live in a bungalow). Every other contractor we have ever used showed respect for our house and property.
4. MID’s website claims a multi step approach. Our experience is that we did not receive the benefit of any of these steps. We never witnessed any capacity to professionally conduct any of the steps minus conceptual drawings. For example, the conceptual design review looked great on paper but they did not have the personnel to execute the work and Mark Cross Sr was too busy (not with our contract) to supervise the project.
5. Mark Cross Sr. has not been to our house since the sales meeting in April. His 12 to 38 years of experience (depending on the day) played no role in ensuring the “quality” of the work. Mark has never supervised staff so we never got the benefit of his experience.
6. MID seemed very poor at customer communication. Mark Cross Sr. continually made commitments in writing and rarely actually followed though. Further the company often blamed us in writing for their shortcomings. 13 of 40 tiles they installed were chipped. We were responsible for choosing bad floor tile from the retailer MID recommended even though MID ordered, delivered and installed the tile. Oddly, Mark Sr swore the tile was not defective.
7. We have hired small and local businesses for 10 of our last renovations over the past 15 years and two houses. Unfortunately, MID seems to use being a small business as an excuse for poor communication, poor workmanship and poor responsiveness. We strongly believe there are other “clients “ held captive by the hope of getting deposits back. For a business operating for 12 years, note the strange lack of reviews anywhere.
8. One member of the household has a degenerative neurological disorder and has severe mobility issues. MID is very aware of this issue and has not only failed to complete the project designed making the kitchen safer, they have made our house exponentially more difficult for that person to move freely.
We continue to live in a very difficult situation created by MID. We bought the small business and “I have integrity” routine. The relationship with MID has caused us financial, physical and emotional hardship. We are well past regret in ever hiring and paying this company. The saddest part of our story is that we paid dearly for this abuse.
As the owner of Modern Image by Design, it does hurt a great deal when any project doesn't go according to plan, we always go above and beyond for our clients, the old saying is "the customer is always right", and I have countless clients that sing our praise and brag to friends about our service.
The facts are, every renovation has minor and sometimes major issues, and my 32 years in this industry, I have never had a client that I could not find common ground.
This will also be the first project that I truly believe it will take a mediator to sort this out, as the clients and I are so far apart on the basic facts that it seems we will never come to any agreement.
Modern Image by Design has a TrustScore™ of 1.1. The average TrustScore™ for other businesses providing similar services in Ottawa and the surrounding areas is 2.8. For detailed information on how TrustScore is calculated, click here to learn more.
The following elements are used to calculate TrustScore:
|Customer Reviews||Last 12 Months||All Time|
|Complaints Received||Last 12 Months||Last 3 Years|
|Suppliers & Creditors||0||0|
|Employees & Sub-Contractors||0||0|
|Posted License Information||Available upon request|
|Posted Liability Insurance||Not yet provided|
|Posted Workers Compensation||Not yet provided|
|Social Media Profiles||Not yet provided|
|Endorsed by Peers||Not yet endorsed|
|In Business Since||2000|
|Member of TrustedPros Since||2018|
TrustedPros does not validate certain information provided by contractors and vendors in conjunction with the creation or maintenance of their profile and we cannot endorse or guarantee the performance of any contractor. TrustScores are provided for informational purposes only. We urge you to use the TrustScore™ in conjunction with the tips provided in our Hiring Guide to maximize the probability of hiring the best professional for you project.
Basement Renovations, Bathroom Renovations, Cabinetry and Millwork, Carpentry, Caulking, Ceiling, Closet and Storage, Countertops, Demolition Work, Drywalling, Electrical, Floor Heating, Floor Refinishing, Flooring, Framing, Furniture Repairs, Gas Lines, Handyman Services, Heating & Air Conditioning, Insulation, Interior Design, Painting, Plumbing, Property Maintenance, Tiling
Modern Image by Design is a family owned and operated full service general contracting company.
Servicing the greater Ottawa are, we offer competitive rates, experience, quality, and professional workmanship.
We will provide you with a clear and complete scope of work containing all aspects of your project.
100% guaranteed customer satisfaction is our standard on every project we do. We work closely with our clients ensuring total satisfaction on every project large or small.
We support and promote a safe working environment for both our clients and employees by being a registered member of the WSIB, and fully Insured.
|Main contact(s)||Mark Cross|
|Listed with TrustedPros since:||2018|
|Warranty||Non-Structural Renovation Warranty The Non-Structural warranty covers renovations without a structural component. This is a two year warranty and covers the renovation as set out in the scope of renovation. As with our new home warranty, the first year is considered the Builder’s Warranty. During this 12 month period, MIBD will support the process with Conciliation Services should the need for an independent review of issues with the renovation be required. The Conciliation Service is included in the fee and all parties receive a written decision based upon the Program’s findings upon inspection. Decisions will be based upon the MIBD Construction Performance Guidelines. Year 2 of the warranty covers defects arising from improper workmanship/labour. At eleven months, MIBD will provide a complimentary inspection of the renovation to activate year 2 coverage. Defects arising in the second year will be covered by MIBD. Structural Renovation Warranty The structural warranty covers renovations that have a structural component. This is a five year warranty and covers the renovation as set out in the Scope of Renovation. As with our new home warranty, the first year is considered the Builder’s Warranty. During this 12 month period, MIBD will support the process with Conciliation Services should the need for an independent review of issues with the renovation be required. The Conciliation Service is included in the fee and all parties receive a written decision based upon the Program’s findings upon inspection. Decisions will be based upon the MIBD Construction Performance Guidelines. In years 2 to 5 the warranty is limited to major structural defects.|
|Accepts credit cards||No|
|24 Hour emergency service||Yes|
|Legal structure||Sole Proprietor|
|Licensing information||Licensing information available upon request|
|Insurance information||Contact Modern Image by Design to request insurance details.|
Check local laws pertaining to license requirements and verify license and insurance details provided by the contractor prior to hiring.