For over 25 years Mr Kitchens has been committed to the design and manufacturing of kitchens that appeal to your senses, on all levels. We believe that kitchens must make sense for you and your home. Since we manufacture our own cabinets we are able to ensure that quality controls and cost efficiencies are achieved, which means better products and p read more...
We were excited; it was our turn to redo our kitchen. But the spirit of fear was upon us. We were feeling overwhelmed with all the choices that were offered to us everywhere... Then we heard of M&R Kitchens and their quality of products and services. We knew we had found the right people to guide us along our new journey!
With M&R Kitchens, we were provided with a kitchen designer who asked the right questions. With all the ideas, the extras and different quality of wood, counters, handles and so much more; she was able to connect with our needs, our budget and our taste. After many plans of different prices, we had a better understanding of what we wanted, what we could afford and what we could do without according to our budget.
Hello, the quality of the material and installation of the entire Kitchen that was done by the MR Kitchen's "staff" was very good. However, I would not have paid them the full amount before the job was completed in order to get better service during the installation. The young lady that was suppose to act as our contractor employed by MR Kitchen who was the same individual that sold us the material for the renovation and was the same young lady we received the initial quote from a year prior did not do the job for which we contracted her to accomplish we found out later as to why?
My wife and I conducted our own research into MRâ€™s reputation before moving forward with the project and we also took our time investigating while getting a quote a year before going ahead with the project but all our diligence prove to be for nothing given all the information we did not know up front. First the young lady that was to act on our behalf as a contactor and sold us all the material for the kitchen was about to leave the company which we found out later on in the project. Second the subcontractor she hired did an admirable job but was far less experience than she led us believe given the nature of the renovation. I should have called into question his experience when I saw him looking up how to properly install an external blower for our new stove online as he was conducting the installation. However, at the end of the day the hood fan was installed properly.
As I mentioned above we were required to pay a percentage of the kitchen cost up front as we signed the contract and the remainder of the cost was paid when the kitchen material was delivered. This is something we found out after making all the necessary selection. Apparently, this is how MR Kitchen operates and I would say right of the start I should have went elsewhere to have the job done. We had a couple of other options that were comparable in price but we went with the mid range price. We spent a year doing our home work and MR Kitchen had a solid reputation so we took a chance given that they have been in Orleans for a few years and they opened a second location off Merivale Rd. We did our home-work by going to speak with some of their clients over the year and watching their business grow.
The service we received could have been handled by me and all I needed to do was purchase the material (cabinets & hardware) separately and use our own contractor to conduct the work their cabinet installer did not do. This was not the case although the young lady sold herself as the lead we spent more time making sure our wishes were carried out by the sub to our satisfaction. We saw the young lady at the beginning of the project when the cabinets arrived and never saw her again after that point in time.
I took several days and my wife took several days off work to make sure that what we wanted was put into place. This was not always the case because we communicated to the young lady at MR Kitchen our plans and she passed the information along to the subcontractor and either the message or what was passed along was not in sync because we spent more time making sure our wishes were completed as we had specified to the young lady. We figured that whatever the price this young lady quoted the sub did not include the little items we wanted and these were not difficult or demanding but required a delicate touch and time. For example we wanted the backsplash tile to go up and over the hood fan to the ceiling. However, what was told to the sub was that the backsplash only needed to go below the hood fan.
Anyhow this was a drawback to not speaking to the sub and making sure that he had all the pertinent information on hand prior starting the job. All in all the job was completed to my wife's satisfaction which is all I am really concerned about.
We hired Mr Kitchens and their sibling company, Olistin Homes, to do a full renovation for our kitchen, a project in the $100,000 range. So in a way this is not a small, common renovation.
The problems we had so far (the renovation is still not finished - it was supposed to be finished next week but we are now off track schedule wise) are so many that it is getting hard to keep track of everything. I will try to be as accurate as possible so here is an initial list:
- During the design phase their designer had no clue about many trends in the industry, about new appliances and the worst, the regulations that dictate where you can install appliances like ovens for example (ie minimum height off the ground as per the Canadian code). I was able to catch all these mistakes before things were actually purchased and fabricated only because I always want to understand how things work, their installation procedures, the latest trends and so on. Resuming, I had to do a lot of the work the designer should be doing as they were being paid to do it.
- They subcontract most of the work to other people. Problem is they never showed up to actually see what these people were doing. The person responsible for the site, Mr. Mario Marnier, showed up a single time after I complained about the many mistakes being done like electrical wires in the wrong location (off the tile, right were people were supposed to be sitting in the island!), very poor tile work (many had to be redone) and so on.
- The tile contractors simply 'forgot' to close off the area they were working on so we basically had cement dust all over the house. Once we complained they tried to enclose the area by STAPLING plastic sheets to the walls. So we got wall and damage painting.
- The opening for the fridge was miscalculated as they apparently cannot read installation instructions from the vendors (even though they asked me for the exact models, etc). End result, a fridge that requires a 36" opening could not be installed in a 35 1/4" one, requiring a whole wall of cabinets to be dismantled, moved, patched and repainted.
- Given all the above everything got delayed and pushed schedule wise. All this after I had paid for EVERYTHING in full. So they do demand full payment but do not deliver on what is promised. Make sure you only pay them once ALL is delivered, finished and you are 100% satisfied.
- Cabinets way off from the countertops (too high). Normally you wait for the countertops to arrive THEN you install the cabinets. Not them. End result: massive gaps requiring fillers, silicon and so on.
I could go on and on on all the issues we had with Mr Kitchens and Olistin Homes. I am sure at the end, after a lot of complaining and hassle, things will be sorted out/addressed. But that is beyond the point.
If you want good design (especially considering a $100,000 budget) and a hassle free experience, look anywhere else. Mr Kitchens is not the company for you. For that reason I cannot recommend them to anyone.
MR Kitchens has a TrustScore™ of 3.3. The average TrustScore™ for other businesses providing similar services in Vars and the surrounding areas is 3.3. For detailed information on how TrustScore is calculated, click here.
The following elements are used to calculate TrustScore:
|Customer Reviews||Last 12 Months||All Time|
|Complaints Received||Last 12 Months||Last 3 Years|
|Suppliers & Creditors||0||0|
|Employees & Sub-Contractors||0||0|
|Posted License Information||Not yet provided|
|Posted Liability Insurance||Available upon request|
|Posted Workers Compensation||Yes|
|Social Media Profiles|
|Endorsed by Peers||Not yet endorsed|
|In Business Since||1986|
|Member of TrustedPros Since||2012|
TrustedPros does not validate certain information provided by contractors and vendors in conjunction with the creation or maintenance of their profile. TrustScores are provided for informational purposes only. We urge you to use the TrustScore™ in conjunction with the tips provided in our Hiring Guide to maximize the probability of hiring the best professional for you project.
For over 25 years Mr Kitchens has been committed to the design and manufacturing of kitchens that appeal to your senses, on all levels. We believe that kitchens must make sense for you and your home. Since we manufacture our own cabinets we are able to ensure that quality controls and cost efficiencies are achieved, which means better products and prices for you. Our friendly, helpful customer service department is involved before, during and after your installation. They also coordinate the production/delivery/install timelines to ensure your schedules are met.
|Main contact(s):||Guy Bianchi , Lee Mitchell|
|Listed with TrustedPros since:||2012|
|Accepts credit cards:||Yes|
|24 Hour emergency service:||No|
|Licensing information:||Contact MR Kitchens to request licensing info.|
|Insurance information:||Insurance information available upon request|
Check local laws pertaining to license requirements and verify license and insurance details provided by the contractor prior to hiring.