Business Renovator License - Are there different types?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Toronto
3/4/2013 at 7:57:53 PM

In Toronto, are there different levels of licensing for building renovators? Or, can the building renovator do any type of renovation as long as the project has a building permit?

I need to validate if a contractor is licensed for structural renovations at my home. The reno includes removing support walls and installing LVLs, corresponding basement supports, raising door headers, etc.

I read that City of Toronto Municipal Code states: No person carrying on business as a building renovator shall perform any work as a building renovator unless his licence is endorsed to show that he has qualified to perform the type of work being done..."

How can I figure our what the Contractor is licensed to do and if there are any conditions or restrictions on the building renovator's license.


User Icon
Date/Time3/4/2013 at 9:21:24 PM

I don't do work in Toronto so I'm not sure if the municipality requires that a contractor be licenced. However this should be pretty easy to find out either on line on a City of Toronto web page, or call the building department and ask.

With regards to the second part of your question: you will need a building permit to perform the work you describe. The structural changes will require drawings to depict the changes and these drawings will need to be stamped by a licenced structural engineer.

So the contractor probably needs a licence to work in TO and the project will require a permit and PEng stamp on the structural drawings in order to get the permit.

Be sure to ask to see all of this paperwork. You are entitled to see it and I believe the permit must be posted in your front window.

Hope this helps.


User Icon
Date/Time3/5/2013 at 7:07:39 PM

Tom has given you good advise. However I would add, do not use a municipal license as any indication that a contractor is any good. Most "licenses" are nothing more than paying the money and showing your liability insurance. That's it and your licensed. Some go a little further and you write a small test on the Ontario Building Code.

User Icon
Date/Time3/28/2013 at 10:40:56 AM

Structural work does need a permit. And as for the building renovator license technically if it's not on his license he can't do, but he can hire a sub-contractor such as a framer or carpenter. But it seems that you trust him to do the work and if he seems capable of doing it or has the experience why not.

Once a permit is obtained and adhered to all should be well. Permits come with inspections from city inspectors. The inspections happen in stages and if the inspector doesn't pass your work in the first stage then it's time to get another person to complete the work.

The drawings from a licensed engineer usually has detailed information down to the type of fastener to be used. As long as its followed in detail everything should be good. Bottom line is once you're confident in him to do the work in your home and he has sufficient knowledge, experience and insurance.

Hope this helps.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.