Can I run a 2"PVC pipe horizontally through hole on the KING and CRIPPLE studs of my kitchen window (exterior wall)?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Gatineau
12/9/2013 at 2:48:02 PM

Can I run a 2"PVC pipe horizontally through hole on the KING and CRIPPLE studs of my kitchen window (exterior wall)?

I'm trying to move my sink a litter to the right, so I need to move my drain connection as well, otherwise I will have to modify all my new cabinets frames.

User Icon
Gilbert from Total Home in Kemptville
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 4:40:32 PM

No. I've seen it done but it is structural. Not a good idea.


User Icon
Alexis in Gatineau
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 4:45:39 PM

Isn't possible even using a Stud Shoes.

User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 6:03:20 PM

I would not do it as it is structural. Having said that, I have seen it done. But I would not.

If your basement is not finished run new lines below and then up!

User Icon
Mohammad in Winnipeg
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 6:10:40 PM

It's not a good idea, plus city code will not allow u to do that.

User Icon
Babak (Bob) from AV Services in Richmond Hill
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 7:40:29 PM

Not a good idea.

User Icon
Date/Time12/9/2013 at 8:47:43 PM

You can't do it for 2 reasons. As mentioned it's a structural wall and a hole that big will weaken the wall. The biggest hole in any structural member is usually max. 1/3 the depth. So for a 3 1/2" 2x4 wall would be 1 1/8". Second is, it's an exterior wall. You never run water or drain pipes in an exterior wall, unless you want them to freeze.

If your basement is not finished or you have a dropped ceiling, then move the drain down there. Another option is to run the drain underneath the cabinets in the 4" toe kick area that they all have. You won't be able to move it over 15 feet but you should be able to get over about 8 feet with the proper slope. Don't forget you need 1/4" drop for every foot the drain is running horizontally for the water to drain properly.

I don't know your local code, but a sink drain usually only needs a 1 1/2" drain pipe. The vent side of it might need a 2" pipe depending what else is hooked up to it.

User Icon
Alexis in Gatineau
Date/Time12/10/2013 at 9:10:34 AM

Thanks all you guys.


This is a really good idea, run the sink drain under the cabinets, i just need to go to the right for about 2 foot so it will be great.

Thanks again.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.