Question Icon
Posted by: from
7/8/2011 at 1:20:56 PM

For a commercial resident do we need a city permit to install a separating wall that has no electrical or windows.

110' long X 30'High with 6mm Polly and Dry wall on both sides.

Steel Stud frame, Fire and Quake proof approved.

One double man door off to one side.

The reason is to cut the dust from entering both rooms.

User Icon
Date/Time7/8/2011 at 5:26:54 PM

Hi Roger! It would depend on where you are in Canada. But most cities would require you to have a permit for such a job. But if in doubt just call your local building permit department they can tell you right off where you stand. Hope this helps.

Brent Smith

User Icon
Date/Time7/8/2011 at 10:13:40 PM

It sounds like you rent/ own a warehouse space that you want to separate. Not structural, not fire rated, if you want to controll dust then put whatever you want. Hang a tarp or build a drywall wall that only supports itself. Although you should always consult your local building department, I'm sure they won't care. If in doubt, let them know the wall isn't permanent.

Good luck


Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.