Sign and parking lot lighting license requirements

Question Icon
Posted by: from Shelburne
7/11/2011 at 3:20:05 PM

I worked in California for 6 years installing electrical signs and parking lot lights as well as servicing both. I wanted to start up a small business in Ontario that installs and services both signs and parking lot lights.

What types of licensing do I need to have to repair and install electrical signs and parking lot lights?

Is there a separate license for these?


User Icon
Date/Time7/23/2011 at 4:17:40 PM

Hi Nathanael

In the province of Ontario, you are required to be an authorized electrical contractor. To do that you need to be or employ a master electrician and be registered with the ERCA. This is for installations. For repairs, I am not sure as it is considered maintenance which pretty much anybody can do I believe.


John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.