Starting A Business

Question Icon
Posted by: from Toronto
11/28/2011 at 10:22:42 PM

I am hoping to start my own company and I am unclear on whether or not I should be registering myself as a General Contractor.

My business will consist of the following: drywall, framing, taping, painting, flooring, floors (hardwood, tiling), basement, kitchen, and bathroom renovations.

If this is the proper 'category', how do I properly register myself and my company as a General Contractor?

Thanks for your help.

User Icon
Paul from Paul's Contracting in Barrie
Date/Time12/3/2011 at 10:39:26 AM

Try going to your City Hall or Building Department and asking them what is involved to become licensed to work in your city. Usually you need to carry minimum $2MM liability insurance and have a business number to start. Look into WSIB requirements as well as these rules are changing in 2012 so don't be caught off guard. Spend some time understanding HST as well, and payroll issues so you don't pay your staff cash under the table. That puts you and the home owner at risk, and leaves you open for trouble if you are reported and CRA or WSIB decide to audit you. You could lose your license to work in the city as well so be careful to do it right.

I encourage you to do your own homework on determining your classification, so you have an understanding as to what you are licensed to do and not do.

Its not easy to start, but if you do it right in the beginning you will receive the benefits later on. The city is a great resource, so is Service Ontario. There may be funding or financial support for you depending on your age and life position, or access to start up capital through New Venture Loans in your community. Visit your Business Development Office in your community and the Chamber of Commerce for added insight.

Take time to prepare a business plan too. Don't fail to plan, rather, plan for success!

Good luck with your business venture!

User Icon
Joyce in Toronto
Date/Time5/20/2012 at 11:48:16 AM

Your best bet is to outsource your personnel. For example hire a job agency to do the staffing and recruiting for you, they also cover all wages, cpp, ei, wsib premiums.

I know of one agency that charges $15.90 per hour for general labour. Give them a call National Job Agency 416-777-2852

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.