What qualifications are needed for installing plumbing and hvac in a new house in Alberta?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Provost
4/28/2014 at 5:38:33 PM

What qualifications do you need to do the plumbing and hvac in a new house in Alberta?

If I am from Saskatchewan with a red seal and gas ticket, is there anything else needed to pull permits and work in Alberta?

User Icon
Mark from CMJ Renovations in Oakville
Date/Time4/28/2014 at 10:05:50 PM

Hi Kelly,

The great thing about the Red Seal program is it's a standard that is taught and accepted all across Canada. Through the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program, tradespersons are able to obtain a Red Seal endorsement on their provincial/territorial certificates by successfully completing an interprovincial Red Seal examination based on common standards. The program acknowledges their competence and ensures recognition of their certification across Canada without further examination.

While professional certificates or licenses are recognized by all jurisdictions under the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT), the Red Seal provides the assurance that workers are qualified according to common standards of knowledge and competency as defined by industry. The Red Seal represents an interprovincial standard of excellence for the skilled trades prized by employers.

Good Luck.



User Icon
Date/Time4/30/2014 at 10:23:51 AM

Mark's answer is very good, but you may find that the simple holding of a Red Seal is not enough, or only the first step in obtaining the necessary "tickets" for an area you wish to work in.

The Red Seal provides, as Mark stated, the basics of the trade that you need to work in it. Beyond that you may need a municipal, city or regional licence. You may need to take additional courses / training to deal with local conditions related to your trade such a earthquake installations, frost damage prevention, etc. Although they are related to your trade, they will be specific to your region; a local amendment as it were.

On top of all of this is the legal business requirements such as business licencing, insurance, CRA / HST registration, etc. Some cities may require you to hold a masters designation or be a licenced contractor.

As an example, I am a Licenced Electrical Contractor (LEC) and Master Electrician (ME) in Ontario. I cannot work as an LEC or ME in Alberta. I would have to either set-up shop as an LEC in Alberta or surrender my Ontario electrical licence and get an Alberta one and work for an LEC there. The Red Seal only proves that you have done the necessary trades training, but has nothing to do with all the other hoops you must go through to legally work in other jurisdictions.


John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.