Bathtub Replacement and City Permit

Question Icon
Posted by: from New Westminster
3/4/2021 at 6:27:43 PM

I need to replace my bathtub in my high rise condo suite. Not moving it or changing the plumbing.

I have spoken with several contractors who say I don't need a permit, but just in case I contacted the city and the clerk said I need both building and plumbing permits.

Does this sound right?


User Icon
Date/Time3/4/2021 at 10:04:38 PM

If you ask the city they will always tell you that you need a permit as it's money in their pocket.

You do not require a permit for remove and replace.

If the system is being changed like for like them you do not.

Keep in mind it's like asking a price officer if it's ok to speed.

He will always say no but everyone does it everyday with out any issues.

User Icon
Artem from Adept Projects in Vancouver
Date/Time3/4/2021 at 11:25:18 PM

Hi Cort,

The city wants a building permit if you are going to be touching any neighboring walls that are suppose to be fireresistant and they want to make sure everything is done up to code for firestopping.

For a plumbing permit as long as the bathroom fixtures remain in the same location you won't need a permit, but I would confirm it with your city.

See the Plumbing Permit Guide for residential construction for city of New Westmindter attached.

Plumbing Permits are required when you wish to: install plumbing fixtures and system components; alter or extend existing plumbing systems; install an in-ground swimming pool, hot tub or spa pool; install an in-ground irrigation sprinkler system; Plumbing Permits are NOT required for: repairs to minor leaks in water pipe; replace plumbing fixtures ( C.S.A. approved only); remove soil or waste pipe blockages (via system clean outs only

User Icon
Date/Time3/5/2021 at 8:36:06 AM

In the past in Toronto, we changed out tubs, tiolets etc.

If the location was the same, we never needed a permit. We did however have to notify the condo association of the work to be performed.

Hope that helps.

User Icon
Reza from Mipa Plumbing in Aurora
Date/Time3/5/2021 at 3:32:27 PM


You need to get permit from the building management for hiring a licensed plumber with liability insurance and WSIB.



Mipa plumbing

User Icon
Date/Time3/6/2021 at 7:26:41 PM

I've never heard of this ... requiring a permit for a replacement. As long as it is the same item and you are not doing any structural changes, that is fine. I'd phone sever "tub" places in your local area to get their opinion. T

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors