Categories

Can 14/2 NMWU cable used inside basement for plugs and lighting?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Edmonton
10/18/2018 at 7:15:22 PM

Can I use 14/2NMWU cable in the basement for plugs and lights? I have this able bought while back for outdoor project but did not use it, I need to run a plug and led lighting can this cable be used inside the house in a basement.

REPLIES (7)
User Icon
Date/Time10/18/2018 at 9:00:24 PM

Absolutely

It is over kill

Since being more expensive but if you already have it....

Go ahead

Just be mindful of the amount of cables you put into one box.not only ro observe overfill code but because they are much more bulky.

User Icon
Robert from ElecTriLight Ltd. in Oakville
Date/Time10/18/2018 at 9:40:42 PM

sure can, but get a permit and get the inspection done...

User Icon
Date/Time10/18/2018 at 11:24:22 PM

Yes of course, you can. I recommend to have Electrical Inspection of your BSMT wiring.

User Icon
Date/Time10/19/2018 at 8:04:05 AM

Hello Anwer and thank you for posting on TrustedPros.

It is great to hear that you are questioning wire type and the proper application for this wire type. NMWU can be installed in wet locations and underground which is why this cable is physically larger than other types such as NMD (white cable). Having said that, you are allowed to install it indoors.

All too often we - as electrical contractors - walk into situations where the wrong type of wiring is used, for example NMD is installed underground in conduit, or lamp wire is used for multiple outlets or armoured cable is installed in a wet location.

I thank you again for posting your question and ensuring that your wiring is done properly. Do not forget to take out a permit and get the work inspected.

All the best.

User Icon
Michael from Generation Electric in Airdrie
Date/Time10/19/2018 at 8:57:08 AM

Hi the NMWU is approved for inside a well. Non metallic wet underground. The NMD can not be used outside. So yes you can use it for the basement.

User Icon
Date/Time10/22/2018 at 9:57:40 PM

Actually I am going to disagree with all of you on this. I do not believe that NMWU can be used for this application. Lights must be terminated to 90*C cable and NMWU is rated for 60*C.

I would have to double check my code book; if it is connected to an LED driver box, that may be different.

Cheers

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

User Icon
Date/Time10/23/2018 at 8:10:02 AM

Further to my previous post, rule 30-408 (1) does not permit the use of NMWU for ceiling outlet boxes.

My interpretation of the rule would allow it for a driver box or some other application where the light fixture is not mounted to the box. In that case you would have to consult the manufacturer's instructions on the temperature rating of the required fixture to make the junction, most of which I believe is 90*C.

Cheers

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x