Categories

Can I use spray foam insulation in stone/rubble foundation, 100 year old house in Ontario climate?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Ottawa
5/14/2012 at 9:00:23 PM

I had my foundation dug up, waterproofed, drainage tiles and sump pump, new gutters and downspouts installed 2 years ago. There has been no leakage and everything is dry. The previous owner had some areas covered with pink insulation and plastic. I have removed all of that and the walls are dry.

Can I have spray foam insulation used on the walls and if so should the framing be the blue treated wood I have seen on Reno shows?

REPLIES (2)
User Icon
Date/Time5/14/2012 at 10:00:15 PM

If the walls are dry, as you say. Yes you can spray foam over the stones. The blue wood is moisture and bug resistant ( not proof ). It is much more expensive than regular lumber, so you have to weigth the benefit to cost.

User Icon
Date/Time5/16/2012 at 2:17:36 PM

James is correct, you can use foam and is a good application for it. The foam will make a very big difference in the "feel" of the basement, making it much warmer and more cozy.

One technique we often use is utilizing blue wood studs as the bottom plate only for a steel stud wall above. Run regular plastic wiring BEHIND the steel studs (not through them) then insulate with foam. This seals the wall and 'glues' the steel stud to the wall, making the wall more firm.

Best,

Andrew Parker

Par-Tek Construction Services

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x