Contractor not getting paid

Question Icon
Posted by: from Edmonton
11/6/2018 at 9:56:38 AM


I completed a contract in a construction company, there was no paperwork signed. It was a verbal contract. They ended my contract 2 weeks ago and has not paid me anything. I have been contacting them for payment but they keep giving me the run-around. At this point, I don't have any paperwork but I have my invoice and all our text conversations. What actions can I take to get my payment?

User Icon
Date/Time11/6/2018 at 7:35:44 PM

Get a paralegal or lawyer to send them a letter. A verbal contract is binding in every Provence. However it's your word against theirs. If you somehow have proof of work like pictures and/or your texts emails etc... you can also just try sending them a registered letter yourself first. Demanding payment by a certain date. Good luck.

User Icon
Date/Time11/6/2018 at 7:47:18 PM

I think that All contracts Are valid Verbal or Written, However you must consult a Lawyer or similar , you will be paid if you have Proof that u worked for them like another contractor or someone who worked on the same Project.

Good Luck

User Icon
Date/Time11/7/2018 at 2:18:40 PM

tell the contractor that you are going to land title office to file a lean on the property.then follow up with a small claims action against them . all will cost 75 $ and 10 hours of your life.....i recommend talking to the project manager first.tell them the situation ,and the owners are usually quite quick to appease. no one wants leans !

User Icon
Date/Time11/7/2018 at 11:52:14 PM

I strongly suggest you talk to the clients personally where you worked and inform them of the situation. However contacting a lawyer first is your best bet. Good luck and sorry for your situation. I also suggest getting a signed contract in the future. Jeff

User Icon
Vid from MouldMedic in Brampton
Date/Time11/9/2018 at 8:43:06 PM

If the amount is $7,500 or less, for $100.00 you can file a Statement of Claim in Small Claims Court. If it is between $7,500 and $50,000 it will cost you $200.00. Then you can serve them with your statement of claim..

I'm sure that will get their attention.

As you are now aware, it is very important to get something in writing.



Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors