Categories

Cost and issues to face installing a 160 ft wooden PT fence next to existing town owned chain link fence dividing our yard and a public pathway?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Oshawa
4/6/2017 at 6:52:21 AM

The chain link fence runs approximately 160ft east-west down a long paved public pathway that's north of our property line.

We thought about adding privacy slats to the chain link fence, but figured that's probably not allowed since it's a town owned fence.

So, in order to get the privacy we want, we're looking at having to build an entire wooden fence running parallel that entire length of the chain link fence line, hopefully only inset around 1 ft into our yard (next to the chain link fence) so as to not lose too much square footage from the usable lot area.

We were wondering how much a fence like this will cost us (as far as what kind of average $/ linear ft range we should expect)? So far we're seeing $25-35 on average. Does that seem about right? (given that there's no old fencing to be removed or anything like that?).

Is there anything specifically that we should probably get ready to have to deal with when putting a new wooden fence right next to an existing public chain link fence? Any potential issues with the post hole digging process when it will be that close to the foundation of the paved pathway?

REPLIES (6)
User Icon
Date/Time4/6/2017 at 10:20:49 AM

There is likely no issue digging close to the city path however be sure to call Ontario One Call to get locates marked. That ballpark is about right for a 6' P.T. privacy fence. I would contact the city to find out about adding a privacy screen to the chain link. You may be pleasantly surprised and save yourself a bunch of money!

Good luck.

Ryan

User Icon
Christopher from D.C Contracting YEG in Edmonton
Date/Time4/6/2017 at 11:28:07 AM

Make sure you pull your permits and realistically you should be fine and on pricing as i sit in pricing out a fence as we speak for a client and a 4*6 post by 10 ft are 22.00 per post each fence board 5 1/2 in by 3/4 in is 3.68 per board and 2*6 @ 8ft is 8.96 each all before taxes and all pressure treat then for post haze/concrete is 8$/bag and one and a bit I figured per post and all prices are coming from lowes so if you feel you feel up to some math you can get an idea on what material cost is as well still need equipment to auger post holes plus fuel .. so I feel 25/ft would be sceptical on quality of workmanship 35 best be a fence guru and quality matters in a fence unless you want to replace it ever 7-10 years.

Hope I was some sort of help.

Christopher Woods

D.C Contracting YEG

User Icon
Date/Time4/6/2017 at 6:48:08 PM

Should be no problem drilling for posts make sure you do the first call. That price range seems reasonable.

Mike

Hickory Dickory Decks

User Icon
Ivan in Oshawa
Date/Time4/7/2017 at 1:21:40 AM

Thanks for the replies.

One other thing we're a bit worried about is adequately filling in the space between the paved pathway and the new wooden fence. As it is, there would be a ~160ft long x 1ft+ wide strip of lawn (grass) between the two fence lines, and of course that would overgrow very quickly and become a moisture trap without being able to access that strip area to keep the grass cut.

Removing all of that grass by making a shallow trench and filling it all with gravel would add quite a bit more to our existing quote.

User Icon
Date/Time4/7/2017 at 10:24:59 AM

I am not a fence guy, but I am a homeowner... my question would be how do they install the "public side" of the fence so close to a chain link fence?

Perhaps more importantly how am I going to be able to maintain the fence with only a small gap between the wooden and chain link fence? As someone mentioned, the grass; but what about repairs, and maintenance (paint, stain, sanding, broken boards, etc).

Cheers,

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

User Icon
James from Deckster Decks in Scarborough
Date/Time4/9/2017 at 8:59:16 PM

Wooden PT fences start at $35/lft. These guys quoting $25/Lft are insane. A business costs money to start, operate and maintain. At $25/ft after you pay materials, wages, WSIB, insurance and upkeep on tools & equipment, the business makes nothing. These guys won't be around in 2 years when your fence falls apart.

That being said, maintaining the fence through the chain link is rather simple with power painter. As far as the grass, I would remove the sod from that area, install premium weed block fabric and lay drainage stone or limestone screenings, eliminating the need to cut the grass in that area.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x