Categories

Cost for 200A service upgrade

Question Icon
Posted by: from Kingston
1/28/2018 at 1:03:34 PM

I know this can vary wildly but I'll post as many details as I can.

I'm in a brand new townhouse (completed April 2017) and the house came with 100A service. I'm planning to install a server room in my basement so I need to upgrade to 200A so I can get enough power down there. At this point I'm just wondering if I could get an approx estimate on the cost of the 200A upgrade alone.

The panel itself is in my garage and the meter is right on the other side of the brick wall between the 2. Being a new development everything is buried but I've heard that it should be a wire capable of 200A running to the house.. is there anyway I can confirm that based on what I can see outside?

Appreciate it!

REPLIES (7)
User Icon
Robert from ElecTriLight Ltd. in Oakville
Date/Time1/28/2018 at 8:48:12 PM

you would have to check with your local hydro to see if there is 200 amp available at your meter. It is very unlikely you would require 100 amps alone for servers. Call 3 local licensed electrical contractors in your area and ask them for pricing. Can be from $1500-$3500

User Icon
Date/Time1/28/2018 at 8:53:13 PM

Hi Brian,

What you were told may be correct, but it also depends on your specific requirements for the server room. My advice would be to have a qualified electrician come and checkout what you've got and what requirements you need. At that point they should be able to giving you and estimate. A good electrician will provide you with a free estimate, so there is no harm in having it looked at. All the best!

User Icon
Brian in Kingston
Date/Time1/28/2018 at 8:53:38 PM

Appreciate the info. Each of my machines pulls about 1500W and I've got 3 currently so I need all the power I can get. 100A service is nowhere near enough when I've got central AC installed and also have an electric car that ideally can pull 28A but I've got it turned down for now.

Hoping to get a few quotes this week. I looked and I can't actually see the wire but the conduit is atleast 2 inch in diameter and my meter seems to indicate its 200A capable.

Cost for 200A service upgrade
User Icon
Harman from Wire-Man Electric Ltd in Surrey
Date/Time1/28/2018 at 9:24:34 PM

Good Evening, It is unlikely the cables are able to handle the 200A load. However, the utility companies and electricians previously most likely have run 3 PVC to the meter base if it is an underground service. Pulling in new 250kcmill cable won't be an issue if you require it. The minimum price is $2500-$3000 If it was a job in Vancouver, B.C

Thanks

Harm

User Icon
Date/Time1/28/2018 at 10:09:09 PM

Hello Brian

Robert is correct that you will have to confirm with the local utility to see if they can provide 200 amps to your home.

Most utilities have installed the infrastructure for 200 amps, but many of these are developed by contractors and they may have been allowed to go 100 for some reason even if it is unlikely.

If it is just a matter of increasing the size of conduit and wire from the existing meter socket and changing the panel, the cost should be minimal. If however you need to replace the service conductors underground, then you can expect a substantial difference.

If there was no trenching required then I agree that you would be starting at the $1500 if the meter socket and service conductors were good to go; not including whatever you were looking for your servers. Just to note, that you will likely need additional air conditioning (which will increase your total electrical load) and depending on how much you are adding. If you are looking at bit mining, most people are using 400 amp services with approximately 200 amps dedicated to servers and air conditioning.

Cheers

John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

User Icon
Robert from ElecTriLight Ltd. in Oakville
Date/Time1/29/2018 at 4:36:00 PM

use this web site to find LEC's in your area.

http://applications.dmtispatial.com/esa/

User Icon
Date/Time1/30/2018 at 6:07:04 PM

Hello Brian,

I'm a custom design builder, so we take a more holistic approach.

I am suggesting you don't need a new service at all.

I suggest you change all your light bulbs to LEDs.

Can you also change your electric stove to gas?

There's 30 amps right there.

Look around your house with a new perspective and see what other savings you might manage.

This works very well with most situations.

All the best,

Andrew Parker

Par-Tek Construction

416 504 9455

"Old Fashioned Quality is Never Out of Style"

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x