Categories

Cost of 100ft fence, 6ft. and a 10*20 deck 48" high

Question Icon
Posted by: from Niagara Falls
5/10/2018 at 11:09:01 AM

I would like to know what it would cost to build a 100ft fence, 6ft. and a 10*20 deck 48" high with a picture frame around.

I am in Niagara region I am getting all kinds of prices from 20 to 35/square feet.

REPLIES (2)
User Icon
Date/Time5/10/2018 at 2:29:43 PM

Hi Alex,

A couple questions I would be asking the contractors are: Does your price include all labour and materials? Are the footings for my deck going to be sauna tubes or concrete blocks. Are my fence posts going to be in poured concrete? -- Try and make sure you compare the work they are quoting as that may have a drastic influence on the price which is why you are seeing such a range.

The fence should be priced in linear feet not square feet, the deck should be priced in sqft but the railings in linear feet. The stairs for your deck normally will be priced per riser. So if you have 5 steps, it will be 6 risers they quote you on. Our company typically charges $50-$75/riser without materials, depending on the design.

Make sure they build the stairs to code so you don't have any trip hazards from the design. Ontario Building Code states the run (step) will not be less than 220mm in wide which is about 8.5 inches. I recommend 10 inch wide steps as they are much easier and safer for walking on. The code also states the riser (height of the step) will not be any higher than 210mm which is about 8.25 inches, I would recommend 8 at most.

I would definitely recommend getting a price break down though from each of the contractors, and make sure you know what is included in the price to help determine the value of each quote.

Matthew Stranks

Project Manager

Stoneybrook Contracting

User Icon
Date/Time5/11/2018 at 7:12:22 AM

fences are about $50/ ln ft material and labour, depending on design, post hikes should be 4' below grade. Decks start at $19/ sq ft material and labour, depending on material this price will go up. Railings can vary from $45/ ln ft up to $100/ ln ft material and labour. Picture frames cost $4/ ln ft plus the cost of the decking and stairs cut from 2x12 on 12 centres with proper footings for support at the bottom stair. Just an FYI, most builders build steps 11 wide ( the width of 2 deck boards) and OBC actually states a rise cannot exceed 7 7/8 , typically I try to aim for a rise between 7- 7 1/2. I hope this helps. Whichever contractor you decide to use, do some research on them, get them to take you to other jobs they've done

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x