Dimensional Lumber or LVL for Flush Beam

Question Icon
Posted by: from Toronto
7/15/2021 at 1:45:39 PM

I have a 6' opening in a load bearing wall which is currently supported by double 2x10 dropped beams. I want to convert these into a flush beams.

Do I need to to use LVLs for this?



User Icon
Dr. Mayyar from Reno Building in Newmarket
Date/Time7/15/2021 at 10:55:29 PM

Hi Anthony,

You need a structure engineer to calculate what does it need.

good Luck

User Icon
Anthony in Toronto
Date/Time7/16/2021 at 10:08:04 AM

The engineer told me I don't need drawings if I am leaving the opening the same size and just changing the beam.

User Icon
Date/Time7/20/2021 at 12:32:36 PM

A flush beams needs to be carefully engineered as it will usually be held up be a wall itself or joist hangers. Your engineer was right in either can be used but it will have to be engineered to proper load bearing qualities and as to how to properly install it as per the current construction in place (roof, floor etc.) You need to get this looked at 1st.

User Icon
Ian in Edmonton
Date/Time7/20/2021 at 4:32:23 PM

First off a double 2 x 10 isn't a beam it's a lintel. The Building Code contains tables for sizing of lintels (as well as beams). Dimension lumber beams start at 3-ply & go up to 5-ply in the beam tables of the Code whereas lintels start at 2-ply.

If you're doing nothing other than raising an existing lintel (which previously met Code) and it didn't display any untoward sign of deflection you should be OK without requiring a new design. Note that newer (i.e. 2nd growth) lumber is not as strong as old growth lumber which resulted in the span tables being revised not long ago.

Raising it to flush does carry some risks in that when joists rest on top of a beam or lintel they are usually lapped and nailed together as well as to the support. The structure does lose some strength by altering it in this manner; however as long as you're conforming to all the framing rules contained in Part 9 of the Code it should be OK. It is assumed it is a floor system above and not a stick-framed roof.

Typically anytime there's a structural alteration it requires a building permit which means preparation and submission of drawings showing adequate detail for your local municipality to check for compliance.

User Icon
Clinton from Baychoo Contracting in Hamilton
Date/Time7/28/2021 at 7:43:43 AM

Hey Anthony, I see my engineer quite often do you have any pictures that you can send me and I can ask him. I do recommend you get a proper drawing done, it give that piece of mind.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors