Do I replace countertop to install under counter sink?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Cambridge
3/7/2016 at 8:17:49 PM

I have a kitchen sink that is over the counter. Can I buy a new under the countertop sink and just install it or to I have to replace the countertop as well?

User Icon
Date/Time3/7/2016 at 10:18:32 PM

You have to change the counter as well!

User Icon
Derek Sean Scott Contract Carpentry in Halfmoon Bay
Date/Time3/7/2016 at 10:34:21 PM

I have never installed an under-the-counter sink. I would assume that you have a granite counter top, or one made of a material that is solid right through, such as concrete, soapstone, or one of the many artificial stone looking counter tops. If so, is the hole for the sink nicely cut? If your counter top is plywood or particle board, an under-the-couner sink would be out of the question. I would also assume that an under-the-couner sink must have a precise template for the opening that needs to be an exact size and shape for the sink to be installed properly. Unless you opening and your sink are an exact match, move on to something else. I have seen beautiful counter tops, where the opening for the sink was a total hack job. But this would never have been seen if the sink is a top mount type. If this is the case with yours, just get a sink that installs from above.

Sorry I can't be more help.

User Icon
Paul from P&C Stone Inc. in Etobicoke
Date/Time3/7/2016 at 10:37:10 PM

Yes. You have to replace the countertop if you want to install an undermount sink. Because they do not polish the sink cutout when installed the top mount sink, which is rough surface still.

User Icon
Scott from Create Your Space in Timmins
Date/Time3/7/2016 at 11:08:22 PM

DO NOT install and under mount sink with an arborvitae/Formica countertop! Undermounts are only to be used with either granite/Marble or Quartz countertops. You can also use them with composite as well.

If you already have a granite countertop, then you would unfortunately have to replace it if you wanted under mount, as they do not polish the sink cut out.

User Icon
Lisa from Baresa Kitchens in Hamilton
Date/Time3/10/2016 at 8:43:12 AM

No you must use granite or quartz.

User Icon
Date/Time4/24/2016 at 12:07:48 PM

Hi Karim,

Yes, but not easily or cheaply! Better yet is to sell the old countertop and put that money towards buying a new countertop with an under mount sink.

If you have stone or a solid surface countertop a willing supplier would have to take a look at your sink cutout and determine what under mount sink options are available. It's possible but rare that this works.

If you have laminate you can install an under mount sink using a Karran sink however the costs are high and it needs to be factory installed. You would be hard pressed to find a supplier that would remove your existing laminate to install an under mount sink for you.

As an alternative, you may find it best to buy a sink with a low lip profile. They look higher end and give the feel of an under mount sink.

Good luck Karim!

Do I replace countertop to install under counter sink?

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors