Electrical contractor requirements

Question Icon
Posted by: from Miramichi
2/3/2017 at 12:16:06 PM

What are the requirements for obtaining your electrical contractors licence?

User Icon
Marco from MCC Electric in Quispamsis
Date/Time2/3/2017 at 1:04:46 PM

In New Brunswick you have to have your electrical license for two years before you can apply for your contractors license.

User Icon
Date/Time2/3/2017 at 1:46:23 PM

TrustedPros website has an overview of what you require to obtain your Electrical Contractors License for each of the Provinces. Search by typing the province you are interested in obtaining your license from and then type in "Contractor License Requirements".

For Ontario, one of the best places to get your licensing information from is the Ontario College of Trades; they are the governing body for issuing licenses. As you will read, here are some of the current requirements in Ontario: Journeyman Ticket, Red Seal, $2,000,000 in Damage Insurance Coverage, registered with the Workplace Safety Board, Master's Qualification with a C of Q, 3 years of electrical experience in the trade.

It is best you speak with the licensing authorities for the exact requirements.

User Icon
Date/Time2/4/2017 at 7:51:26 PM

Hi Mark,

As want has been said previously, it depends on what province you are in.

In Ontario Kirsch pretty much nailed it. I might suggest instead of the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT) you look at the Electrical Contractor Registration Agency (ECRA) of the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA). This is the organization that has oversight on Licensed Electrical Contractors (LEC) in the province of Ontario.

The basics are for us:

Must be a journeyman for 3 years;

Must write and pass the Master Electrician exam;

Have proof of insurance;

Have proof of WSIB;

Be in good standing with the OCOT;

Be in good standing with the ESA; and

Have no individual investigations or legal issues pending.

If you are not a Master, then you can hire a Master as your Designated Master Electrician (DME). A Master can only be a DME for one company. If the master would happen to leave, then essentially you would have to shut down until you could hire another one.

One other note, in the wording it talks about having 3 years 'electrical experience' in the trade. That has been interpreted as being a journeyman for three years.


John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.