Electrical in highrise residential

Question Icon
Posted by: from London
9/15/2012 at 12:19:43 PM

Can a highrise residential owner or agent f the owner hire anyone of the street to do their electrical, or does this person have to hold a C of Q in electrical?

User Icon
Jay from MP Electric in London
Date/Time9/15/2012 at 4:01:26 PM

Anyone doing work for someone else must have an electrical license ( C of Q ) and must also be working for a contractor licensed by the Electrical Safety Authority ( ESA ).

User Icon
Date/Time9/15/2012 at 4:33:05 PM

Why would you want someone who is not a proffessional playing with such a dangerous part of your house?

User Icon
R. from R2 Renovations in Ottawa
Date/Time9/15/2012 at 7:19:04 PM

All electrical work must be done by qualified licensed persons, check with ESA (electrical safety authority)

However, homeowners , with proper permits from esa, can do their own work. Your best and most safe to hire a licensed professional.

User Icon
Robert from Electrilight Ltd. in Oakville
Date/Time9/15/2012 at 7:47:12 PM

Many good answers already provided, however, if there is electrical work done in your home by unqualified people, and you have a fatal shock or fire, your insurance may refuse benefits.

Electricity kills hundreds of people every year in Canada alone, not counting ones caused by electrical fires. Not only do you have to consider the people living within your home, but the people within the same building or adjoining structure... and what about that man doing the work??? if he is injured in YOUR home and does not have proper insurance, YOU could responsible if he gets electricuted in your home.

I once walked into a duplex home where someone wired their basement with speaker wire. It was 12 gauge wire and could withstand the current, BUT the insulation covering those wires was only rated for 12 volts. The electricity punctured holes every 12 inches or so and caused the hole wire to catch fire.... causing toxic fumes within the home AND his neighbors house, who sued him for his hazardous wiring...AND there was no grounding wire to prevent shocks.

ESA and licensed electricians are the safest bet... check their references and make sure they are registered with the ESA and take permits out for their work.

Anyone can pretent they are a trained professional, only their paperwork can prove it... ask for it, they should be proud to show it to you!!

Electrilight Ltd. (home of the safe electrician)

User Icon
John from JALS Corporation in Welland
Date/Time9/16/2012 at 10:22:18 AM

The answere to your question is yes he can, however the owner accepts all the responsilblity that the contractor or whom ever he hires does. It not a good idea to have a non license electrican do any type of repair work to any building or home it is a big liability issue for them. To sum things up the building owner should only hire certifed contractors for any type of repair.

User Icon
Date/Time9/17/2012 at 10:32:54 AM

There have been a number of good answers here, but I don't think they are what the OP is looking for. What I am thinking what is really being asked, can the building maintenance man or the maintenance company do electrical work in an apartment building.

The answer is depends. It depends on how the building is classed (residential, commercial residential, etc) and what sort of training is provided to the individual doing the work.

The requirements state essentially that a competent person must do any work (including electrical) in a place that is deemed not residential or a construction project. In many cases, a commercial residential building is not a residential but a commercial building. So as long as they are trained, and are not constructing anything, the building maintenance man can do it. So you do not need a licensed electrician to change bulbs or a fixture, change a switch or receptacle, change out a pump motor, etc. You would need an electrician if you were renovating a unit, installing new underground lighting or anything else new.

The second and follow-on question, why would the owner not want to use a qualified guy?



John Kuehnl-Cadwell

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.