Framing advice on partial removal of load bearing wall?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Sherwood Park
11/6/2014 at 10:31:56 AM

I have a load bearing wall downstairs and I want to take a part of it out. I need certified professional advice on the support I have to hold the beam up. Or do I need more support framed in?

User Icon
Steve from Mander Homes in Kitchener
Date/Time11/6/2014 at 5:56:15 PM

What you need to do is get a blue print drawn up and need to get it stamped (approved by) an engineer to make sure whatever you're replacing the wall with (probably a lvl or steel beam) is structurally sound to carry the load that is sitting on it.


User Icon
G A Fraser Custom Contracting Inc in Norwood
Date/Time11/9/2014 at 4:50:39 PM

Agree with Mander Homes; you need a structural engineer to advise you & prepare engineered drawings which will contain the information you need.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors