Framing basement bedrooms

Question Icon
Posted by: from Lloydminster
6/29/2012 at 9:39:30 PM

I am purchasing a house that has a wide open basement. I am intending to build a bathroom and maybe a bedroom or two in the basement.

Do I need to get an engineering or architectural report before applying for a building permit?

User Icon
Jacques from Stellium Renovations in Montreal
Date/Time6/29/2012 at 11:45:15 PM


You probably won't need an architectural report before applying for a permit. However, that being said, it would probably be prudent to check with the permit authorities in your community for the rules of the road as far asventing requir3ements, egress windows, and any other restrictions/requirements for the type of usage that you want to do in the basement.

I hope this helps and that you keep the questions coming

Jacques Bouchard

President, Stellium Renovations

Montreal, Quebec

User Icon
Date/Time6/30/2012 at 8:01:04 AM

You don't need any report, You will need a drawing of the floor plan, A building permit for the framing, and permit for plumbing And one for the electrical.

If you are planing on doing the work yourself Steady on the basement regulations and codes. There has been changes made. Floating portion wall are needed now in basement development, Back water valves, sump pits, escape basment windows, Nothing is as easy as it seems.,

Hire a pro, or make sure you know what your doing, before you do and deal with inspectors.

User Icon
Date/Time6/30/2012 at 9:32:42 AM

As stated by the others, no the the permit, as long as you aren't making structural changes. Its a good idea the make a thorough plan and drawing indication what the finished basement is intended to look like.

Minor changes, as you may change your mind during the project, are not an issue but be sure to indicate where you want plumbing, electrical, doors, wondows, etc.

Enjoy the project.

User Icon
Date/Time6/30/2012 at 1:55:29 PM

The contractor that you hire should be looking into the permits for you. Also, when you get the permits they will usually include blueprint floor plans that will be submitted to the city for approval.

Hope this helps, good luck with your renovation.

Thank you,

Sherri & Dustin Depatie

Seamless Finishing Inc.

Office : 780-760-3852

Sherri : 780-297-0986

Dustin : 780-885-2231

User Icon
Date/Time6/30/2012 at 7:01:15 PM

I'd highly recommend paying for a detailed drawing prepared by a knowledgeable individual or firm that has an in-depth grasp of the local codes as well as solid reputation for thoroughness with the City of Lloydminister, Sk.

It's going to cost about $2.5K but it's money well spent because when you give to about three (3) Contractors for estimates they will be no doubt about what you want or there response back to you.

(By the way we love those Saskatchewan Roughriders....were now dying on the vine to see live CFL football back in Ottawa)

User Icon
Date/Time7/26/2012 at 5:05:02 AM

Unless it is a very old house with an un-solid fountain, I think you will be fine by just applying for the building permit.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors