Getting help for part of the kitchen renovations

Question Icon
Posted by: from Toronto
1/2/2016 at 3:40:09 PM

I'm renovating my kitchen in my condo and I'm trying to do as much of the work myself to reduce cost. I can remove the cabinets, tiles, backplash myself. I can install the new cabinets, tile and backsplash as well. What I need help with is: Plumbing: new sink will be moved over by about a foot, need water and drain to a washing machine and a diswasher that don't exist yet and I need water to the fridge dispenser. Sink: I'm going with a quartz counter top and under mounted sink.

Question: Should I be getting a contractor because there will be holes to be made in the cabinets for the plumbing and the sink needs to be installed or do I just go with a plumber who can handle all that? I'm concerned that the plumber wouldn't deal with everything I need and I'm also concerned that if I go with a contractor, they will want to do more since this wouldn't be a huge job as I'm putting the ikea cabinets together and installing them to reduce cost.

If you have any other advice, please feel free.

User Icon
Sami from OCS in Ottawa
Date/Time1/2/2016 at 6:33:25 PM

My advice to you is look for a handyman service in your area. Usually there is a minimum charge even if it's a 20 minute job (which this isn't) but still they can pretty much do everything you need at a not of lower cost than a contractor would charge. Since it's just finish plumbing and nothing too major for plumbing this should be more than fine.

Best of luck!

User Icon
Date/Time1/2/2016 at 6:51:39 PM

Contractors basically manage a project and generally produce a better result than diyers but there is a cost for their skill. Since you are doing that and doing the labour you don't need a contractor. All the work you describe falls into the scope of a plumber. He or she will tell you what they won't do and you can decide from there if you need adtional help or if you can handle what they need to be done. Call a plumber.

Good luck!

User Icon
Terry from Plumb Perfect Ltd. in Caledon
Date/Time1/2/2016 at 7:01:39 PM

A contractor isn't necessary for what you need. A plumber can cut holes in the cabinetry once they're in place and supply and install any and all necessary plumbing.

With regards to the countertop, they will cut the holes for the sink and faucet AND install the undermount sink. Just make sure they know how many holes are needed for your chosen faucet. Also, after the countertop/sink has been installed, you must wait at least 24 hours before the sink/plumbing can be hooked up as it needs time to set.

And a cautionary note, only a licenced plumber is allowed to do any plumbing in a condo and it must only be copper piping for everything with the proper shut off valves. Your Condominium Board may even know of someone to refer you to.

User Icon
Date/Time1/2/2016 at 7:26:06 PM

My answer is pulling business away from my contracting firm. But if you have a good, experienced plumber there is no reason why he or she could not handle everything you have mentioned in your post.

Be sure you have the cabinets installed and purchase the sink and faucets etc prior to ordering the counter top. Give the firm you are getting it from all of the above so they can cut the proper openings.

User Icon
Gerry in Toronto
Date/Time1/2/2016 at 8:18:57 PM

Thanks for the info.

Terry, because it's a condo and the new plumbing going to the dishwasher, fridge and washer would all be on the outside of the walls, i was told that it doesn't have to be copper in this situation. Is that correct that it only needs to be copper if plumbing inside the walls but doesn't need to be on the exterior?

Another issue that i'm having is that it will be an L shape kitchen but the smaller section will just be a dishwasher and fridge and i'm putting quartz which needs support. i'm not sure how to secure that support between the right side of the DW and the fridge.i read that i need a 3/4 inch thick side panel which i'm not sure ikea has available from what i can see on their site. i read that there also needs support on the back walls as well. I think that it might be best that i hire someone to deal with the whole dishwasher section because i don't want any issues. I'll need a handyman who is familiar and has dealt with this before.

User Icon
Date/Time1/29/2016 at 9:35:06 AM

All you need is a plumber. Most plumbers have worked with clients who do a lot of the work themselves. You'll find there are plumbers out there that are happy to help you work out the few concerns you have to achieve what you're looking to do.

Good luck with your kitchen renovation.


Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors