How to make basement bedroom pass inspection?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Mississauga
10/2/2015 at 10:10:04 AM

I have a non-conforming basement apartment (not being used) that I think is probably not insulated. I share the house with a family member and want to let them sleep in one of the bedrooms. I DO NOT want to rent it as an apartment (even if that means removing the door, the stove and the sink). What would have to be done to make it pass inspection? Does it have to be insulated?

The whole basement was built without a permit including 2 washrooms (they were there before I moved in) I remodelled one and framed and insulated the recreation room without a permit because someone at the city said I didn't need one.

When the inspector comes in, I know he is going to look at the whole basement and I am concerned about how much this could end up costing as I am on disability (and so is the other family member).

User Icon
Date/Time10/2/2015 at 11:31:47 AM

Not sure that the local building gave you the correct information. Any electrical framing etc requires permit. You'll need a egress window...maybe back flow value etc. If you speak to the inspector first..have them over and they can give you the core t advice.

User Icon
Date/Time10/2/2015 at 6:57:41 PM

You didn't mention why an inspector was coming in for in the first place. To inspect what? You can use your house the way your immediate family wants, but there are codes to follow for bedroom safety, that are available at your local building dept., that concern exit in case of fire, and what is classed as a bedroom.

There are clauses that pertain to existing use of a home, but a simple inquiry up front may save some pain in the back!

User Icon
Date/Time10/3/2015 at 12:13:09 PM


You would need to speak with the building department (3rd Floor) at the City of Mississauga with a plans examiner. They will provide you with the correct zoning information of what is and is not required for your purpose.

Not sure why an inspector would be coming to your house if you havn't completed any construction but they can only provide you with building constrution code issues. Any legalities with respect to usage would be the building department.

I hope this helps.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.