Crazy idea, but only for information purpose.
I live on a 8000 sqft lot. I was willing to rebuild my house by adding a floor (storey). I currently have a bungalow house with one garage. There are few parts of the house that have been renovated recently such as windows and garage.
Here's my idea:
1. Break wall to make a larger living room.
2. Break wall to make a larger washroom.
3. Break wall to make larger garage.
Every wall is/would be enclosed of a bedroom.
1. Make 3 rooms with walk in closets and add 1 washroom.
1. Mechanical Room will need to be renovated, electricity not friendly.
2. Pipes will need to be renovated as historical problems.
3. Might require to break backend of the house and patio to largen structure for upper level.
Hire an Architect or Residential Drafts person to visit your house. They will check out the structure of your home to ensure what you can or cannot do with your existing building. They will also check out you set backs to ensure that you are expanding within your property.
This will cost a few dollars but it will be proven to be beneficial and very worthwhile. Then when you have it on paper then you can find out if it is going to work and what it is going to cost.
Because your renovation will require a Building Permit things like electrical wiring will have to be brought up to the existing Building Code.
There are a lot of things to be taken into account. You will need a soil test if your adding some extra foundation as well a structural engineer too, for beam and Colum supports. Then a drawing to submit for a building permit. When you have these things in hand at that point you could go forward and get pricing for the installation.
Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.Find your home service pro