If I hire a contractor to build an addition who gets the permits?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Windsor
7/14/2020 at 1:27:04 AM

I am looking to hire a contractor to build a small addition -mud room from foundation to roof. I tried to get the permit to do it myself but was told I had to draw plans, fill out a 10 page form and discuraged to do so. Will a contractor provide plams and permits?

User Icon
TrustedPros Inc. in Toronto
Date/Time7/14/2020 at 2:18:49 PM

Hi Larry,

We hope you find this discussion forum helpful.

If you wish to hire a contractor for your project, may we recommend submitting your post in the Get Free Estimates section of our website, by following this link: We will locate top-rated contractors that specialize in the services you require.

Kind regards,

TrustedPros Inc.

[email protected]

User Icon
Date/Time7/14/2020 at 3:09:43 PM

Hi Larry,

the type of project you are planning has a definite engineering impact, and no permit will be issued without proper BCIN stamped engineering drawings.

Typically, this is handled by the contractor, but you can do it yourself as well. You simply retain an engineering form to do so, or engage the contractor to do so.

The engineers will visit your home, discuss the project, its impact from an engineering perspective on the existing dwelling, and hopefully give you an estimate on engineering costs, as a minimum.

Expect engineering to start at $3,000-$5,000 as a minimum.

I hope this helps.

User Icon
Date/Time7/14/2020 at 3:45:20 PM

It's all depend? Either way, you could hire a contractor that has his own architect or engineer that he always use for such projects or, you could still able to hire your own engineer to provide all permit drawings and even taking care with all the application and the process with the city, then any contractors would be able to provide pricing based on this drawings.

User Icon
Date/Time7/14/2020 at 8:39:18 PM

Hi Larry,

I have my engineer and architect put together plans for all of my jobs requiring them. The cost of this is added to my quote to actually complete the work.

Hope this helps.


James Fram

User Icon
Date/Time7/15/2020 at 3:21:45 PM

In Alberta where we are located, and this may hold true across the country, the person or company completing the work must apply for the permits.

If you are hiring a contractor to do the work then they must apply for the permit.

If you as the homeowner apply for the permit, then you are the one expected to do the work. This this requirement will probably be stated somewhere on the application form or in the additional information located on your Authority with Jurisdiction's website.

Also, I'd wonder about a contractor that wasn't comfortable or unable to apply for their own permits.

User Icon
Chris from KP Construction in Toronto
Date/Time7/15/2020 at 8:11:49 PM


You can do this 2 ways.

1. Hire the Contractor who will retain an Engineer to get you permits.

2. Hire the Engineer / Architect yourself who will get the permits for you and then use these drawings to get contractor's to bid the project.

I recommend option #2.


Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors