Categories

Increasing Service from 100A to 200A

Question Icon
Posted by: from Langley
11/11/2019 at 11:11:01 PM

How do I check whether power delivery to my pole and thence underground to my meter is capable of delivering 200A service? If not, what can I expect to spend for this and the upgrade to my panel?

REPLIES (4)
User Icon
Date/Time11/12/2019 at 8:36:41 AM

Call your utility provider, they will tell the details.

Good luck!

User Icon
Date/Time11/12/2019 at 12:39:15 PM

Most commonly services are limited to 100A. Highly unlikely that existing cabling would support an increase, however sufficient size of conductor could be found through a local electrical contractor. Here in Edmonton average cost of a service upgrade to 200A will start at around $3000 and go up from there depending on conditions. We've heard of customers being quoted by other contractors at around $8k.

User Icon
Date/Time12/3/2019 at 9:12:01 AM

Most local utilities will supply 200 amp feeder if the service is underground and belongs to them. As mentioned, you need to contact the utility to confirm if it is available. Some utilities will charge for the upgrade if possible, some will not.

If you own the underground wire, then it is possible that all that cost will be on you, and of course distance from the pole to your home is the main variable as this may involve digging up the yard, concrete, sidewalk, etc.

Next step would be contact three licensed electrical contractors to get estimates for your area.

Cheers

J.L. Kuehnl-Cadwell, CD, ME

Master Electrician

Datawise Solutions Inc

User Icon
Date/Time12/3/2019 at 3:52:37 PM

Normally by looking at the size of the conduit You can guess the service provided to the meter.

If it is 2" pipe, most likely the service is 200 A, however still need to double check with the service provider.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x