Is an architect necessary to create blueprints for a home addition in Halifax?

Question Icon
Posted by: from Halifax
12/17/2013 at 7:33:38 PM

I'm in initial stages of planning a house addition in Halifax, Nova Scotia and the designer I'm working with is insisting to get architect drawings. She said it is required to get permits. That's not my understanding but can't get confirmation.

Can you help?

User Icon
Date/Time12/17/2013 at 8:21:21 PM


I own construction firms in Niagara Falls, Ontario. And have done business throughout Toronto to Oakville for years.

I have on several occasions, drawn my own plans and submitted them for construction permits. So long as my details are accurate and within building code, I have not had a problem.

I also have no knowledge of the rules for obtaining permits in your Province. So please bear that in mind.

But, if you have no experience and your designer does not as well, then by all means find an architect to sit down with. And have them put the drawings together for you.

Best of luck with your project.

James Fram

User Icon
Date/Time12/17/2013 at 8:35:05 PM

I would agree completely with Hugh. I as well have many times made our own plans and as long as details are clear and follow local building codes you should be fine. However there is a good investment in getting proper plans put together as it will be something all trades involved can work from as a reference point! You will end up with a much better project as a result of good planning and preparation!

Good luck with your project!


User Icon
Date/Time12/17/2013 at 9:09:11 PM

Hi Hugh,

Your designer is right...... You have to get the drawings done by either architect or professional engineer for such addition project. All drawings should be stamped and signed by this professional.



User Icon
Date/Time12/21/2013 at 7:20:26 AM

Every city and province has it's own requirements. Call your town building department, they will be able to answer your question. Most cities will allow a home owner to draw up there own plans. If it's a simple addition and your on a tight budget, that should save you a couple bucks.

User Icon
Joel in Sudbury
Date/Time12/21/2013 at 9:25:14 AM

Hi Hugh,

If you are not comfortable in providing your local building authorities with a set of drawings/blueprints drawn up by yourself, you can hire a drafts person for a lot less money than an Architect. As long as they have a license to do so.

In Ontario here its called a BCIN. That stands for Building Code Identification Number.

The fact of the matter is, the officials would prefer a professional set drawn up because they have to be viewed by different Governmental divisions for approval. You will need about three to four sets that are stamped.

Good Luck with your Addition!

Joel Corriveau

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors