Noisy townhouse neighbours

Question Icon
Posted by: from Vancouver
9/20/2016 at 12:33:59 PM

End unit of a townhouse complex and need to insulate between ours and the neighbours master bedrooms. Will a second layer of drwywall help? Should we tear down and fill with batt insulation? Any suggestions?

User Icon
Ernie from Edj Decorating in Winnipeg
Date/Time9/20/2016 at 2:17:19 PM

Insulation is the best way to sound proof it.


User Icon
Date/Time9/20/2016 at 4:33:18 PM

In answering your first question about adding a second layer of drywall this will only add an R value of about .45. My question for you is are you sure the wall separating your bedroom from theirs is not already insulated? If not the R value for a 2" x 4" framed wall with batt insulation is about 10.8 - 11.9 or for a

2" x 6" framed wall with batt insulation it is about 16.3 - 17.8. This is the value of the insulation only. If your are going to tear the wall down there are some othe opposition that would greatly increase the R value.

David Miller

Complete Contracting Services

User Icon
Date/Time9/20/2016 at 5:11:48 PM

You can use drywall but you would need a drywall comparable to to a gypson board like or just using "sound break xp" if you do not want to tare down the walls and starting from scratch.

User Icon
Date/Time9/20/2016 at 5:59:04 PM

Accoustical insulation is the correct product required.

User Icon
Date/Time9/20/2016 at 8:39:32 PM


My name is john form kingston ontario I'm the owner of j.t home improvements and renovations , i think your best bet would be to take down the drywall and put sound proof insulation in the wall then re drywall mud and tape this will help a lot adding a mother peace of drywall on top of the existing drywall will not help much at all as with the insulation it catches the sound and traps it so that it dose not go threw that would be your best bet or there is other options but could get costly sound travels up and under threw and down if your with in 2-3 hours from kingston we can make sure you do not hear the people next door but for our professional quality work we do ask for gas and travel time to be paid but it worth having a pro look at it then some one who just says they can help then your still hear the noise.

Thanks for your time.

User Icon
Date/Time9/20/2016 at 8:49:43 PM

I've done over 100 of these walls over the years. Commonly your going to find a Double 2/4 wall one on each side. There should be insulation on both sides as well. Generally there should be a space between that with drywall ( Fire break ) or now you will place drywall between the walls. Push the insulation from your side to there's add R14 Roxul to your side. 5/8 drywall is a cheap way to help sound or at around 80$ Per sheet of Sound drywall that is the equivalent of 8 sheets of Drywall. Accoustical Sealant on all stud for vibrations and Can spray foam on Electrical Outlets. Now enjoy Your Own conversation.



Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get Free Estimates

Post your project and compare offers from top-rated pros.