Opening up a kitchen wall

Question Icon
Posted by: from Ottawa
1/13/2021 at 3:59:51 PM


In my kitchen I have a half wall with a flush beam above it. Then there is about 5.5 more feet of a full wall. I am wanting to open up the full wall about 4 feet and would continue with installing a flush beam.

Do I need a permit to do that and do I need an engineer? What would a rough cost estimate be if I do need these things?

Thank you,


User Icon
Date/Time1/13/2021 at 5:06:19 PM

Anytime you are opening up a wall I would get an engineer to check and make sure the wall is not load bearing. I always ask for an engineer's look before tearing out walls.

User Icon
Date/Time1/13/2021 at 5:25:46 PM

Hi Katherine. Please consult a general contractor before opening up the wall. You have to determine if there is any load bearing structure behind the wall. Someone probably has to have a look to determine what need to be done. Thanks. Dave.

User Icon
Dr. Mayyar from Reno Building in Newmarket
Date/Time1/13/2021 at 6:05:09 PM

Would be better if you can send the picture of it.

If I understand correctly, if that 4 feet wall you want to open there is not any load on it you don't need engineer. If so, need to see the pictures to see you need a permit or not. (probably not). You can check your town website here:

Please leave a message if you need more information.



User Icon
Date/Time1/13/2021 at 11:35:33 PM

Dear Katherine,

Best option would be to get engineer to check the wall before any further steps will take place.

Warm Regards,


Huskynova Kitchen Cabinets Refacing

User Icon
Dave from 360renos in Ottawa
Date/Time1/14/2021 at 6:47:12 AM

Good morning Katherine,

Yes you need a building permit and an engineers report and drawings on how to rebuild the the supporting structure properly.

To let you know that any time a wall is added, removed or re-locating in a home you or your general contractor need to get a City of Ottawa Building permit. Your or the general contractor need an engineer to ensure that the wall you wish to move does not compromise the integrity of the home's structure.

The engineer can also complete the blueprint drawings that are required for the City of Ottawa permit application.

Having proper drawings, permits and inspections will also go a long way when selling your home in the future that the structural integrity of your home is fine.



Dave Bennett Owner - 360renos Inc.

Search the TrustedPros directory and discover the best contractors in your area.

Find your home service pro
Great renovations start with a great contractor.

Since 2004, TrustedPros has been helping homeowners find the right contractor for their home improvements and repairs.

Post Your Project

Within hours you'll be comparing offers from top-rated professionals. It's free to post and you're under no obligation to hire.

Trustedpros Inc. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and TrustedPros Inc. Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms and conditions of use of this websites for more details.

Get quotes from top-rated contractors