Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
My contractor wants an extra 10,000 but not much has been done

The city put a stop order on this reno till we got a designer and the permit. The contractor did some stuff and during this 8 week period and is asking for the 10,000 even though I had paid him. Its not my ...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post March 12, 2021
What type of support is needed in the Basement directly under King/Jack/Jack ?

Thank you for the great info, i will follow up. Dianne...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 10, 2018
insulation wrap in the basement

What is the best way to deal with basement insulation wrap that has some black under the plastic wrap and is only 6 years old. I wanted to put a wall up and drywall is already delivered but now I am concerned t...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 8, 2018
Painting query??

What do you charge to paint wooden framed windows, including casing, jam liner and interior of window? Location is northern York Region, and home is furnished and occupied....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 8, 2018
Cost to add a 2-3 bedroom addition to back of my house in London, ON

I want to add a 2 to 3 bedroom addition to the back of my house with a small hallway. The bedrooms need to be 10 feet by 10 feet each and the hallway can be 4-5 feet in width. The lot dimensions 68 feet wide...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 8, 2018
Interested in getting a freestanding deck built, approx. 14 x 18 with wood/black metal railing and two steps down to ground level with railing. Curious, a ballpark price?

Interested in getting a freestanding deck built, approx. 14 x 18 with wood/black metal railing and two steps down to ground level with railing. The deck will be level with a sliding glass door. There wo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 9, 2018
Attic now has rats after getting new roof

About 5 years ago, we had our attic cleaned out, replaced with new insulation and rat proofed. Last year we had a new roof put on the house. Now, there are rats living in the attic again. It will co...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 8, 2018
Estimate for windstorm damage to roof shingles

I had some windstorm damage to my roof this past weekend. Approximately how much would it cost to get this fixed? I checked the back of the house and it didn't look like we lost any shingles there....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 7, 2018
Completion Date way overdue?

The project started in September with a completion date of January 5th. We are still not in our house and it is May 5th. I fully expected some delays but this is getting ridiculous. A few weeks of delays were d...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 8, 2018
Adding air duct-cost

My house has central air but one of the bedrooms does not get any air. It looks like the duct used to go up through a wall on the main floor which was removed at some point. When I put my hand into the vent...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 7, 2018
Framing exterior basement wall, foam gaskets and poly?

I was planning to frame my basement,the 2x4 bottomplate, would you use both, pressure treated, foam gasket and or black poly? Recommend black construction paper on concrete side of 2x4 ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post May 6, 2018
Cost to dap and paint baseboards

Just wondering what would be a fair price to fill and dap approx 500 lf of 6" baseboards and then paint them. The home is furnished and the homeowners are living In it. Thanks ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 8, 2018
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 3, 2018

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 2, 2018

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 3, 2018

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 3, 2018
Spring or Fall Landscaping

I have heard that the cost for reno's or landscape work is cheaper in the fall than it is in the spring or summer. Any input from professionals would be greatly appreciated....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 1, 2018
Bathroom question

I have a white sink and toliet. I have light to medium gray walls. I am getting a dark brown barn door, should my shelf be darn brown to match the door? Or white to match everything else?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 23, 2018
Electrical circuit breaker compatibility

I live in a condominium in Toronto - a factory converted to a condo in 2002. The Siemens electrical panel in my suite has a mix of Siemens and Cutler-Hammer breakers. An electrician told me yesterday that this ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 6, 2018
Estimate to build a 24' X 24' detached garage in Sudbury, ON

Complete package; - drawings - footings and foundation - 2" X 6" construction - sliding - shingles - insulation and drywall - wired with lights and plugs - garage door - man door - two windo...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 1, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x