Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What is the average cost of house construction in Perth, ON?

We live on a lake in the Lanark Highlands and we're currently reviewing our options to avoid future flooding. Do we raise the house, put in a new foundation and drainage, or do we tear the whole ho...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 22, 2018
What is a fair rate of pay to move 1 yard of topsoil 30 feet by wheelbarrow

I was wondering what a fair fee would be to move one yard of topsoil by wheelbarrow for 30 feet ....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 23, 2018
Covering exposed roofing nails in kids playhouse roof?

I have a playhouse in my backyard, built years ago by someone handier than me. My kids are getting taller, and very soon they're going to start cranking their heads against the exposed roofing na...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 23, 2018
How much to install crown moulding in rooms.(Labour Only with paint finished)

How much to install crown moulding in rooms?(Labour Only with paint finished)...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 21, 2018
Pressure Treated Wood vs Duradek vs Composite

There are pros and cons to every deck material, I'm just trying to figure out what's best by seeing if there's any expert advice on each of the materials. I'm currently debating between Dura...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 22, 2018
Trim work

How much to charge to install casings baseboards quarter rounds and doors including jams in Toronto. Thanks to all for your advice Jacques ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 20, 2018
Cost for walls and stairs

How much would it roughly be to take off 16 stairs that are old and narrow and rebuild them in width of tread, approx? I am getting a credit for 1275 from the contractor but I do not believe that t...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 21, 2018
Water stain on the exterior wall

Hello, Thanks in advance for your help! We got a petty big ice storm couple days ago. After the storm, water stain showed up on some bricks right next to the main entrance (see the picture a...

How much it will roughly cost to repair foundation crack in gta?

How much it will roughly cost to repair foundation crack in gta?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 17, 2023
Building a wall under a support beam

Hi Everyone. Please take a look at my attached pictures. I want to build a wall the full length of the support beam you see. The width of the beam is approximately 5.25 inches. The support pole brace over l...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post April 21, 2018
Province to Province license for small reno

I have a question concerning a small renovation I was asked to do for a friend in Burlington, ON. I am a licensed contractor in Alberta and am visiting my sister in Ontario. I was asked to remove an exis...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post April 21, 2018
Cost to run gas line for gas fireplace

We currently have part of our finished basement floor and ceiling ripped up to do a water damage accident. We weren't ever planning on renovating but since this has happened we've been thinking that now...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post October 1, 2018
Pipe from the basement that leads to no where

I had to repost the question: 4 pictures - 3 different pieces Long black pcv pipe = how much of the pipe could I cut to keep it at a minimum length? It is an eye sore - how much of the len...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 19, 2018
What is the average time in Maple Ridge from building permit to occupancy permit?

Building a 5000 foot custom home in Maple Ridge what should I expect for time to complete once the permit is given? Thanks...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 18, 2018
Cost to build partition wall

Typically what are the rates to build a 2 x 3/4 length partition walls and 1 full length partition wall with a door. I am in Edmonton. ...

Cost for painting the interior of house

The ballpark figure to paint the interior of 2500sq/ft house. Just walls and ceilings. Job is in Kitchener....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 3, 2018
Paint Wainscotting

I am looking to have my wainscotting painted white and would like an estimate. The wainscotting has a shiny veneer coating. Questions: Would it require sanding? What type of paint would be us...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 17, 2018
Gas furnace pvc pipe that leads to no where???

2 pictures I suspect that this pipe will emit the warm air from the gas furnace to the exterior in the winter? Would I be able to cut the exterior/exposed part of the black PVC pipe which is quite...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 18, 2018
Trade Equivalency Assessment?

Has anyone ever got a Trade equivalence assessment, I have been looking into it as I would like to become a equal to a licensed/qualified general carpenter, even though I don't need it to work i...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 18, 2018
Leak in standup shower

Hello, I have a leak in the corner of some of my tiles in my shower stall. I have water tested for weeks and finally have found the spot. Can I fix this with either a re grout of the area or using some ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 20, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x