Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How much to build this grilling station ?

Hi, The plan and material list is already available via home hardware. How much labour (hrs x price) would this run for a skilled carpenter. The area is Vaughan. http://homeh...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
Strong BaseBoards

I live in a 100 year old building. My friend pulled the heavy oak baseboards off the wall and replaced them with thin slabs of press-board. They are in two pieces, one sits on the wall above the other, ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
Should I remove the island and baseboards for flooring, paint and trim for the contractor?

I have purchased an older home that needs some updating. it's about 1750 sq/ft, the living area has beautiful hardwood I would like to carry throughout the whole home and tile in the entryway and th...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 6, 2018
How to start and how many contractors to hire?

Hi, We live in downtown Toronto, in a late 1800s workman's rowhouse. We want to do a number of renovations but we're not sure where to start and whether it's best to hire one general cont...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post April 7, 2018
Cost for duplex build in Edmonton, AB?

Wondering what the average cost of a duplex build is in Edmonton? 2000 SqFt, attached garages, standard finishes and would require excavation. Just a best guess estimate would do at this phase....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 4, 2018
How much to build in Nelson, BC . thank you for your expertise in advance

How much to build a 2,100 sq ft house just to lock up the stage in Nelson BC. Flat lot, easy build, thank you for your expertise in advance. We are debating what’s best for both us and the contra...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 2, 2018
Can I take out my own permit for some electrical upgrades to my cafe

I purchased a cafe and for the most part I am just cleaning it up, paint and reorganizing the layout. Nothing major. But now I look at the lighting and heating situation I realised I need to do some upgra...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
Remodel nightmare! Shower failure

We hired a licensed builder for a master bathroom remodel. I have stopped his work because of lack of proper supplies, disrespect of our home, and very poor quality of workmanship. Contractors have said...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
How to remove tiles?

I started work to put new tiles in my washroom. the existing tile were installed with some kind of adhesive and with the chisel it's coming of in small pieces. Should I use a small jackhammer with chisel bi...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 1, 2018
Do I need permit for an Egress window?

My basement was built as a legal basement before I bought this house. But at that time egress window was not required. Now I have to turn one of the basement window into egress window, because my bank told ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
Basement permit?

Just curious I just priced out a basement/rec room where I'm just going to be installing new drywall mud tape paint and new flooring trim and drop ceiling, I do not need a permit correct! No ele...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
Flooring

Best flooring for a basement hallway? Surrounding rooms have laminent wood flooring different shades. Nothing we would ever be able to match. Hallway is used to transport wood to a wood burning fireplace. ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
Repair or replace broken marble transition strip.

Who can repair or replace the broken marble transition strip in my hallway between the carpeting and the tiled portion of the floor?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 31, 2018
Urgent Toilet lever - PLASTIC ROD help Mansfield 160 toilet

3 pictures How do I install the plastic tank lever for my toilet? Note: It is not a chain type of lever. It has a hard plastic horizontal rod I do not want to break the plastic rod. Do I compl...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 3, 2018
Thin Brick Siding

Hello all, built a new home. Just completed. House is off a semi busy street. 80% of exterior is stucco. Stucco is Durock brand. Foam and stucco total thickness is about 2 inches. I hear ALOT o...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 29, 2018
Converting a 3 season porch to 4 season porch reno cost (specifically labour)

Hello, My wife hired someone we know to do a bunch of renos on our home using money from her parent's estate. We did not get multiple quotes, as we assumed since it was a friend we would get a g...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 30, 2018
Does my framer for addition to my house have to have a licence?

Does the framer need a licence to do our addition to our house? Its actually a carport we are enclosing for more living space. We are in the city of Surrey, BC. Thanks...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 30, 2018
How Long to Get Started

I've started making some calls but figure maybe I could get more answers quickly here. For those general contracting in Guelph. If I was looking at doing 100-150k in work in an interior home reno.... Ki...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 30, 2018
How much would it cost to stain 3 coats 3000 sq ft of hardwood ?

How much would it cost to stain 3 coats 3000 sq ft of hardwood?...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 4, 2018
Garage door

How do I make it much easier for me to lift up and down my 1 car steel garage door. Apart from using WD 40 on the rollers/sides etc.. As for WD 40, where should I apply WD 40 and how often? Are...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 30, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x