Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Mudding & Taping ceiling - Oshawa

I have a ceiling that requires mud and tape. Full disclosure - the drywall install isn't great. It's passable, but will take a little extra work to make it look smooth. What can I expect to pay f...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 27, 2018
Blocks that lead to the porch of the house

Please note that the 28 pieces are not really 100% flat as they may appear to be so from looking at the picture. They are not straight 90 degrees and they would easily move due to erosion and the footsteps ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 26, 2018
Can I fit an ensuite?

Hello, I've been looking at some dated 1970's homes with the hope of doing a big reno. There is a potential one coming up, and the only drawback I can see to the layout, is there is is n...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 30, 2018
Bathroom Reno Cost (Specifically Labour)

Hello, My wife hired someone she knows to do a complete bathroom reno (before and after photos below). She did not get multiple quotes as it was someone she knew and trusted. However, the fin...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post March 27, 2018
Really ugly faucet problem.

I have a big problem. I have a jacuzzi tub with a leaking faucet handle. The leak is under the tub, which is completely tiled in above the floor with a tiled (8 foot) step leading up to the top of...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 29, 2018
Exposed sides of my asphalt driveway

The exposed side edges of my asphalt driveway have cracked, I had applied some asphalt repair/filler on the same spot a year ago. Is there a brand that will really seal the entire surfaces permanently ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 23, 2018
Backyard 30 ft by 30 ft full of weeds

My 12 year old backyard measures 30 ft by 30 ft, It is full of weeds. I want to replace the backyard with new grass/sod How do I do it i.e procedure wise and the timings? What type of grass...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 28, 2018
12 year old gas furnace

What is the best way to ensure that the 12 year old gas furnace will not start a fire or emit carbon monoxide? I do not want to ask a technician to inspect due to the cost. To save on the cost, I wil...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 27, 2018
Billing question

Should a discount for "good will" (example: $5000 less $500 good will net $4500.) be shown on an invoice? Or, should it be a net $4500.00 on the invoice?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 5, 2018
Install sliding doors in existing sunroom

I have a glassed in sun porch that is the access to the backyard. The porch flooring is not insulated and has access approximately three feet above ground. This flooring is slanted toward the door. Therefore th...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 13, 2019
Frosting on uninsulated foundation walls above grade

Hi, On the summer of 2017 I started a renovation on my basement, mainly because the insulation was very bad (recent bought old bungalow from the 60s). Then, this past winter, I got s...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 21, 2018
Basement insulation advice

Hello, Last year I bought an old house (bungalow from the 60s) and I noticed during the winter that it was very cold in the basement. So I ripped the walls to see that the only insulation wa...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 21, 2018
Where to sell converted car hauler with a top notch professional shop built in it with machines?

Any ideas other than kijiji where I can sell it? Is there a specific contractor classifieds?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 23, 2018
Embassy MDF suspended ceiling system

Hello, What is the labor cost for, Embassy MDF suspended ceiling system?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 19, 2018
What is the process for Seperate Enterance to basements installation

Hello everyone! I am planning on installing a seperate enterance to my basement from my backyard. I am fairly new to this and want to educate myself on the process of the installation. I will be getti...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 20, 2018
New fence

How much to remove an old fence and install a new one. It is 60 feet long and straight. It is the good neighbor format with the lattice at the top. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 21, 2018
What is an avarage cost of doing tapping and mudding? Drywall is already installed

Hi there, I looking to get tapping and mudding done. Can anyone help to determined the avarage cost of tapping and mydding. Per linear foot or per square foot. Regards ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 19, 2018
Detached garage remodel causing electrical problems inside the house

Decided to finish out our detached garage with insulation, drywall, and recessed lighting. During the process, something occurred that caused several rooms INSIDE the house to lose power to the over...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 19, 2018
Jack Post in Basement

Hello, I have a jack post in the basement of a home built in 1986 that a home inspector has flagged because there are no bolts, welding or brackets attaching it to the steel beam. Should I be worried&#...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 22, 2018
Slanting garage

Our attached garage has shifted, and is slanting to the front and side. An inspector told us we need to fix it. We are wondering how much re building it would be and would we need a permit to do so? ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 19, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x