Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Vapour barrier behind bathtub

I am redoing by bathroom and I have already installed the bathtub. One of the ends of a tub is on an outside wall. I forgot to put the vapour barrier up before installing the tub so there is a small section beh...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post January 10, 2018
Cost to add attached 24' X 24' garage plus small 11' X 11' studio on existing foundation

I am planning to add an attached 24' x 24' garage plus a small studio 11' X 11' on an existing 7-foot foundation (currently a dog run). Garage slab will be half on existing grade (...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 8, 2018
Insulating a common wall between a garage and house

I live in update NY and the common wall between the Garage and one of the rooms in the house is not insulated. Instead of ripping down the sheetrock from inside I was planning on doing this from the garage. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 9, 2018
Accent Wall Color

Hi, I am looking for a brownish orange/burnt orange paint color for the accent wall in our livingroom to go with the picture on the adjacent wall. All the other walls are log. I do not want anyth...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 10, 2018
Raising a cottage

Hello, my cottage is built on piers, no existing pipes or anything. The cottage is only 440 sq ft. 20 x22 ft. I would like to raise it and put a closed in crawl space so that I can insulate the cottag...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 8, 2018
Attaching 2x6 to i-beam

What is the best way to attach a 2x6 to an i-beam? Would it affect the structure of it?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 8, 2018
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 7, 2018
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 7, 2018
Tile installation cost

How much does it cost to install 150 sq.ft. of 4"x4" ceramic tile (on wall) and 50 sq feet of mosaic on mesh (floor)?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 8, 2018
Leaking outdoor frost free faucet

So I've discovered that my outdoor frost free faucet has been leaking in the back of the house leaving a giant sized icicle. From a little online research, it's the cartridge and stem that needs to...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 7, 2018
How much a square foot to hang tap and mud walls drywall - no obstacles?

What's the average price in ontario? Easy access no stairs. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 6, 2018
Pricing

Hi I’ve been doing all sorts of construction work for a very long time. Not long ago I started my own contracting busiiness. What I’m not used to is pricing. Im looking for help in regards to pricing for framin...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 5, 2018
Pricing for framing and drywall?

Hi, I’ve been doing all sorts of construction work for a very long time. Not long ago I started my own contracting busiiness. What I’m not used to is pricing. Im looking for help in regards to pricing fo...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 6, 2018
Frost on indoor wall behind the insulation on the 2nd floor room

Just need some advice or suggestion on what could be the issue why there is frost forming behind the insulation. This room which is on the 2nd floor above the foyer has always been very cold during winter, ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post January 4, 2018
Water spots on ceiling & high humidity in house

What type of Contractor would I need to locate the source of several small water stains along the outside edges of my wall as well as during the really cold months I have a high humidity problem that causes maj...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 6, 2018
Hardwood install price

How much will it cost to install 850 sq ft of hardwood in 4 bedrooms and a hall way in Oakville?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post January 6, 2018
Hardwood installation price

Cost for hardwood install in 4 bedrooms and hallway. Around 850 sq'....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 5, 2018
Ice in eavestroughs and downspouts

I have a small single-story, no-attic house whose roof runs in a shallow slope from one end to the other -- then flattens out (or even slopes very slightly "backwards") as it extends...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post February 21, 2018
What fasteners can I use for roxul comfortboard?

What fasteners can I use for roxul comfortboard? I need to attach it to the basement wall. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 3, 2018
I have a compressed type top on our half wall but I do not know what it is.

I have a compressed type top on a half wall in the basement and do now know what it is. Can anyone tell me what material this is....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 9, 2018
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x