Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Garage conversion to living space - need insulation advice

Looking for advice on insulating a portion of a garage for a kids play room. It will be approximately 12 x 12 area and the rest will remain a cold garage. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 3, 2018
Proper Quartz Counter Install when cabinets and floors not level

Is it structurally sound to insert a shim between the cabinet and quartz counter top to level it? Is this the correct way to level it? Please see attached picture...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 3, 2019
Remodelling the bathroom

I want to renovate my small bathroom and have no idea where to start. We’ll need a designer. My husband will take it down to its bones. We want to enlarge the shower, heating in the floor, tiles on the ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post January 3, 2018
I would like to soundproof a vent shared by two floors.

I would like to soundproof a vent shared by two floors. Any suggestions ?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post January 1, 2018
Snow inside the windows

Recently I noticed ice or snow inside the windows - the humidity in the house is 22% in the house, I had turned my humidifier down on the furnace, which is not good for the hardwood. Is there a chea...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 3, 2018
What needs to be done if kitchen sink pipes froze?

Background information- we live in a 3 level split. Our kitchen overhangs the basement by about 2 feet. The pipes run along this floor area and sink is against this wall. We just had our siding done by a com...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 2, 2018
Air exchanger doesn't seem to work in very cold weather but we have ice on windows

With the extreme cold we've been having in Eastern Ontario this holiday I have ice buildup inside most of the windows (and do whenever its -20 or below) and a lot of condensation. The house is 15 ye...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post January 4, 2018
Upstairs bathroom exhaust fans creating icicles in attic

Hi everybody! New here and i have a problem! I living in Alberta, and I have a two story house built in 2007. I found a wet spot on the ceiling in my upstairs bathroom. I climbed up into the a...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 2, 2018
Price for installing osb insulated subfloor

What is fair asking price for installing (price/sqft) R10 rigid foam with plywood tapconned into concrete?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post January 3, 2018
How long do I need to wait for final invoice from the contractor?

My contractor recently finished his job. Throughout the project there were additional items added so I know our final invoice will be more than anticipated. He is not giving me the invoice. How long do I need t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post December 10, 2021
Second floor cooler than first floor

The second floor in my house (mainly my daughter's room) is slightly cooler than the rest of the house. Her room is over the front porch, which was insulated with spray foam. The house is 4 ye...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 22, 2017
Removing glass slider door to reduce the noise?

Will removing glass sliding door and replacing with solid wall help reduce outside noise....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 22, 2017
Lien again house

my deadbeat contractor did not pay his worker and now his worker placed a lien again my house. I have paid in full to contractor with a waver to clear any unpaid wages and lien and yet I still got slapped with ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post December 21, 2017
Price refrence

Do you have any source of labor price reference in Toronto to mach these prices with contractor prices? For example; how can I find how much it cost for tiles installation on floor in Toronto?...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post December 28, 2017
Can I repurpose portion of the money approved by insurance for flood?

Hello everybody, We had a flood couple of month ago and, of course, opened an insurance claim. At some point, we got mostly everything approved as per the estimate provided by insurance pre...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 9, 2018
Cracks in parging

I noticed this morning that there are some small cracks in the parging around my garage door. The house was built in 2015. I wasn't concerned until I noticed that one of the cracks seems to extend up into t...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 20, 2017
Contractor licence needed?

Am I able to obtain a Contractor Licence without a Red Seal in order to do home basic labor renovations? No plumbing or electrical, just carpentry....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post December 20, 2017
How much time is needed to mud tape and sand a 320 sq ft room to bring it to paint grade?

Area is boarded just want a time needed idea when looking at quotes. Thank you! ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post December 28, 2017
Wood Stove Replacement

How much would it cost to replace my old wood stove with a new wood stove if I purchased the stove myself from a store? Including cost to remove old stove from the property. This is in the Ottawa area....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 18, 2017
Stucco or stone which is more expensive?

We are planning to build a 2400 sq ft bungalow. We are thinking of using stone or stucco, which is more expensive. Is there any advantage to either one? This will be in the Ottawa area. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post December 18, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x