Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Deposit request for small bathroom reno

I am supplying all of the materials to replace a bathroom tile floor, toilet and vanity. A vanity light will also have to be installed. Is it common practice for a contractor to request half of the cost o...

Number of Responses 13 Date of Last Post November 17, 2017
Weeping tile instalation

On a new build for a house how do you run the weeping tile on the interior of the foundation to a sump pit? There is exterior tile on the exterior of the footings. Do you have to run the tile along the enti...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 14, 2017
Should I clean my deck annually or stain?

I planned on finishing my deck with semi-transparent stain. However, I'm not so keen on the maintenance and re-staining every couple years. Spending an hour and $25 cleaning it every spring sounds m...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 28, 2017
Best time for repairs?

Is there any best time or season to repair a fence? Like are the prices a bit low in a particular season or the repairing process becomes easier during particular season?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 28, 2017
What would the cost be to put 2 egress windows?

What would the cost be to put 2 egress windows in a poured concrete wall The house is brick clad and both windows would be in the same side of house about 15 ft apart The basement is unfinished at this time ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 14, 2017
Renovation vs rebuild

We bought a 1940s home 3 years ago knowing it would need work. The plan was to completely develop the basement with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, redo the ducting so we can run off 1 furnace instead of 2,...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 14, 2017
Vapour barrier in shed

Do I need to vapour barrier my shed walls if the floor is not insulated and it will be heated?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 13, 2017
How to remove condensation on my windows?

I have condensation on my windows. The furnace fan is on 24/ 7 I have positioned other fans in the house to help with for the circulation of air and I sometimes open the window to change air out. All this...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 12, 2017
Relaxing a Garburator

Should I, with no experience, try to install a garburator? If I want to hire somebody, do I hire a handyman, a plumber, or what? If I hired somebody what would it cost? Also&#...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 14, 2017
How much does it cost for demolition of small house & detached garage in Olds, AB?

How much to demolish an older 1940's A-frame type house & detached garage in Olds, AB? House is 900 sq ft., garage is roughly 15' x 30'. Good access off of main road, gravel driveway...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post December 31, 2018
How much to build a single car garage in Edmonton?

Some of the modular homes I am looking at buying have garages and some don't. If I purchase a modular home without a garage around Edmonton (Spruce Grove or thereabouts) roughly how much would it...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 12, 2017
Trying to understand an access hole in my basement slab and capped pipes inside.

I have a square access hole in my basement slab. I removed the steel cover and found the ends of 3 plastic pipes, capped, at the bottom of the hole. 2 of the pipes are 4-inch black drain pipes that com...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 11, 2017
Weather strip bottom of door keeps coming loose

Hello - I am trying to replace an old weather strip on our front door. I bought a new one which comes in two pieces, the strip holder that goes on the bottom of the door and screws into the inside bottom o...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 11, 2017
Ventilation experts & plumbers: trunk blocking p-trap access for tub re-install

Need help ASAP!! What is the solution to re-installing a tub on the 2nd floor of a 2 storey house when all the plumbing was pre-finished and afterwards the furnace venting was installed after it was ne...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post November 9, 2017
What kind of cost range is to renovate basement suite, kitchen and flooring?

Wish to renovate basement suite replacing existing kitchen with new cabinets, countertop and full-size appliances. Plus replacing bedroom carpet and living area tile with laminate, or similar, floor...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post November 14, 2017
Thinking about adding a basement entrance - full floor of excavation needed

I am thinking about converting my basement into another unit (rental property). My current house is a ranch style house and the first step is getting an estimate and proper steps to add an exterior ent...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post November 9, 2017
Mansard roof window cladding problems

I am currently in a battle with our contractors and I need to ask you guys your opinions. Recently we hired a roofing company and a window company to do renovations to the exterior of our home, I coordin...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post November 9, 2017
Insulating a 3 season room

Just like those who own green houses and use bubble wrap to provide some measure of insulation factor, I am looking at using the same principle to provide for some insulation for my 3 season sunroom. Right ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post November 16, 2017
Cost of installing drywall

How much does it cost (only labour) in City of Toronto - remove old plaster drywall, - to insulate, with new 2x4, - and then install new drywalls, -taping, mudding, sand...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post November 6, 2017
Bath tub replacement

We would like to change our bathtub to a deeper tub. How much would this cost?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post November 7, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x