Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Below-grade entrance + water

I called 3 different contractors and got 3 different answers! I'm hopeful that I can get my question answered here! Thanks in advance. I live in Mississauga and I am thinking of putting in a belo...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post January 17, 2023
How do I get caulking contracts in Winnipeg?

I have a blueskin company and I also want to get into commercial caulking, but don't know where to start. I've done blueskinning for manitoba housing but they are not affiliated with large parade j...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 29, 2017
Budget price for outdoor deck

I am thinking down the road about an outdoor deck and am curious for budget purposes what it might cost. The project is fairly simple: an L-shaped deck of approx. 240 sq. feet, no stairs, no raili...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 31, 2017
20 amp double breaker

Hello, Have a double 20 amp breaker for 2 hardwires heaters. Looking to take one heater out and put in a 15 amp outlet for a cabinet freezer. Am i able to do that? Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 30, 2017
Terminating dealings with home contractor?

We hired a contractor to do some renovations on our home. It was supposed to be a three-day job. That was over three weeks ago. Every day is something new. He's arrived three times and "forgotten...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 29, 2017
Cost of drawings & permits in Etobicoke

Hello, I'm looking to get a bedroom put over my garage. The garage is attached to the house with nothing over it. I was wondering how much it would cost to get drawings and permits done for this...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 31, 2017
How to shine natural hardwood flooring?

I have a beagle dog and he has continued to scratch the hardwood flooring. I have used BONA liquid to refresh the hardwood but the results are minimal. Should I use oOlive oil to shine it and somehow hide the...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 26, 2017
How much would something like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 26, 2017
Contractor not invoicing

Hi, We hired a GC last fall to replace the entire roof section. He gave us a written estimate on which we agreed. We split the total costs in 4 payments. We paid him 3 payments in cheques already. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 25, 2017
Difference in fencing costs - PT vs cedar

I have a new home, flat lot, no rocks. I am looking at 140 linear feet @ 6 ft with three gates. I live in lower Okanagan....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 25, 2017
What stain does your company use?

Hello, Have you found a stain out there that will hold up to the elements and not peel? They all promise that but I have yet to find one that holds up to the promise....

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 24, 2017
Looking to build a deck on my house

Hi, Just looking for the answer to a couple of questions. How deep do I need to go with concrete piles in Whistler, BC? We have a lot of snow but average winter temp for coast mountains ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 24, 2017
How much is the cost of land clearing and make nice again?

I have messy backyard with full of soil and small rocks. How much is the cost to clean properly and make a nice one?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2017
Comfort difference between r12 and r20 for a basement?

I've heard that r12 insulation for a basement is enough and there's minimal difference between the two. Is this true?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 24, 2017
Insulating rim joist area with gap

I'm working on a room on the ground level which is partially below grade. I would like to insulate my rim joist pockets with 2" foam board sealed with expanding foam. My dilemma: The wooden sill ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 23, 2017
My contractor is 6 months behind on an 8 week project

What can we possibly do at this point? Our contractor is adding on a master suite to an existing room on our house. Adding a 12x22 slab off the back for the bedroom portion. I paid them 12K 7 months ago to ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post May 23, 2017
Cost to finish small room

Hi, I want to convert an unfinished 8x8 storage room in my basement to a office area. I need drywall, ceiling and floor(engineered hardwood) installation. I also want to replace the stand...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 25, 2017
Completing exterior stucco/siding?

Why does it always seem that builders finish the stucco, brick and siding at the end of the project? Can the stucco/siding/brick be completed once the windows and roof are installed? What ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2017
What is the cost of land clearing, and to make a nice back yard with parking?

I have lot's of garbage and want to clear it. Could you give me a good advice for making a parking or wooden deck? I don't have garage and drive way. That's the reason to make this....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 22, 2017
Carpentry license vs. no license?

So I have recently started a renovation business and I do not have a carpenters license but from what I have found and read I don't need one. I have insurance business number and HST number. I'm just cu...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 22, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x