Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Basement insulation

Part of my basement is finished with tyvek wrap a 1 inch gap followed by 2x6, r22 and then a vapour barrier. Is having a 1 inch gap okay? Or should I be putting rigid board In that gap. Anything I am se...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 27, 2017
How should you approach small value work/contracts?

How should you approach small value work/contracts? For instance; replace a few sink faucets, or do backsplash work. Eg; if under 1k for the work? Payment terms out the Window? Etc? ...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 25, 2017
Sound insulation

I hired a contractor to add sound deadening material to the outside walls. He assured me that the insulation he used on two previous jobs would solve the problem. I asked if sheathing would need to be added o...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 25, 2017
Finishing a basement that's 80% complete

Looking to find out what it will cost to remove existing carpet and lay down laminate and baseboards as well as laminate on the stairs. Move two walls which means removing studs and drywall and putting up new ...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post February 22, 2017
Rigid foam on the outside of my house

Should I add rigid foam to the exterior of my house to get more R-value? I have 2x4 walls with vapor barrier. I was thinking of adding 2"-4" of rigid foam to try and get a R-value of R20-R30 includi...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 21, 2017
Footings for new 4 X 8 walkout deck

Had new cement patio poured last year and also removed deck that provided exit from kitchen to backyard. I want to rebuild with same size in mind (4X8ft) but wondering if using post anchor to new slab ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 26, 2017
Replacing the floor in part of the house and future renos

We have carpet in the living room dining room, lino in the kitchen and 2 1/4 inch hardwood in the family room - all on the main floor of the house. We need to replace the carpet now. We are thinking o...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 21, 2017
Upgrade electric panel

I am currently using oil to heat the house. If I want to use electricity + oil heating, do I need to upgrade our Electrical Panel? Is 100 amp or 200amp? Thank you. Regards...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 21, 2017
Dealing with old hardwood floors in a basement

We've been living in our house for a bit over a year now. The house is from the 1940s. We have a rec room in our basement that we've been steadily ignoring all this time. It came with carpeting that sme...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post February 21, 2017
Wood looking tiles on basememt

Hi, I'm planning to replace my carpet flooring in my above ground basement with wood looking tiles. The reason I choose tiles is because I want a flush transition with the bathroom tiles and the other ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 22, 2017
Painting

How much are ppl charging per square foot for painting new renovations? Prime drywall, fill holes, caulking, paint 2 coats from top to bottom....

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post February 23, 2017
Cost of basement foundation

The approximate cost for a basement for a 32' x 57' home in the Wabamun, AB area....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post February 17, 2017
How much for a major fencing project?

Hi, I am looking for a ballpark on how much it would cost to teardown the existing fence, and replace it. We are not looking to do it just yet, but need an idea of how much it is going to cost so...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post March 14, 2017
Replacing a low-pitch tar-and-gravel

What is the cost estimate to replace a low-pitched tar-and-gravel roof with a high-pitched gable roof in the Vancouver metro area? I'm looking at an old house with tar-and-gravel roof that needs to be r...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post February 17, 2017
Basement beam

Can some have a look at the pictures and tell me if this would pass engineering? On the side of the beam they put a 2x6 (or 8) and then put the floor joists on top of the 2x6. The other beam in the...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 17, 2017
Kitchen renovation

Me and my wife bought a house and are thinking of renovating the kitchen. We are thinking of two things. One would keep the existing layout and just upgrade the kitchen. The kitchen layout is 10 ft by 8 ft b...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post August 29, 2018
How much to replace/repair this deck?

Looking for a ballpark on this deck. Probably needs to be taken down and rebuilt. It wobbles. Approx. 10 by 10. Potentially extend a few feet. I will be looking for proper estimates in the future but need ...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post February 17, 2017
Resilient channel help

Looking into ceiling resilient channels for 2 layers of drywall 5/8"s. Does anyone know where I can get RC-2 channels, which is basically a more sturdy RC-1 Channel but both sides fastening to frami...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 15, 2017
Sewage smell still lingers after pipe replacement

How long before the smell leaves a house? Had some pipe replaced two days ago under our house in our crawl space. The smell seems to have faded in one area but now stronger in another. We expected the smell...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post February 16, 2017
Oakville renovation project

Evening folks, I have a 900sq bungalow in Oakville, Ontario, looking to renovate, go up a story, adding bedrooms above and creating an open plan concept on the ground floor. Essentially t...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post February 15, 2017
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x