Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
How much would a wall unit like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be. Including covering up an existing stone fireplace with a wooden m...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 23, 2016
Matching stain on cedar wood

Trying to stain the interior wood (cedar?) on the walls and floors of my gazebo to match the stain that is on the ceiling which remains in excellent shape/stain ect. It's a light coloure...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 24, 2016
I want to find out if a contractor has a licence in BC

How can I find out if a contractor has a valid licence to work as a contractor in Vancouver, North Vancouver and Richmond?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post September 3, 2016
Cost of removing load bearing wall?

Hello, Just wondering what it would cost roughly to remove a load bearing wall in between my kitchen/ living room? Wall is 14ft long and has electrical for 3 switches only with no duct work. ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 23, 2016
Leak from corner of shower pan behind and below pan

Can a Schluter pan, newly installed, but leaking at a corner, be repaired without a complete tear out?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 25, 2016
Cost to build a single story addition?

Looking for a ballpark cost of adding on to the back of our bungalow? Approximately 10ft x 35ft. Would include re doing the kitchen and bathroom and adding an ensuite bathroom as well. Thanks....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 22, 2016
How much would it cost to install a battery backup for my sump pump?

I have a sump pump and when there is a power outage it backs up. How much would it cost to install a battery powered backup to avoid flooding? Only looking for cost. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 21, 2016
How to deal with a substrade deck miscalculation

Hello, I recently hired a subtrade to build a deck, the area is 11'x16' with a 9x5 seating area built onto the corner. Half the deck is lagged into the house and there were to be 3 posts adde...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 24, 2016
Removing rough-in plumbing in basement.

Hello, I'm in the process of finishing my basement. One section has a rough in for a bathroom, however I have no need for an additional bathroom. There are 2 drain pipes sprouting from the concr...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 22, 2016
Aluminum wiring - debating between new Co/Alr divices, or pigtaling all recepticals/switches.

We are looking to update the aluminum wiring in our home. We cannot decide between replacing them all with new Co/Alr receptacles/switches - with 10yr warranty (labour and materials), or to...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post October 21, 2016
Converting cold room into walk in closet

I am finishing my basement. My cold room size is 7 x 5 feet. It's ceiling is made of wood and from outside, the ceiling is open to sky. Please guide me how to insulate it to avoid mold problems. Tha...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 19, 2016
Replacing a 35" to a 36" exterior door

How would I measure? What am I watching for? It says I need a 35 7/8" to 36 3/8" to fit a 36" in the door jam. Frame and all? Is that right? I'm a first timer. Please...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 18, 2016
Basement cost

I am thinking about having my basement completed with a 3 piece bathroom, laundry room, repair to stairs and closed in furnace and hot water heater. It is 500 square feet. Would you please estimate ho...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post August 24, 2016
Wall color for crazy kitchen

I have a kitchen with a wild blue and grayish tile floor, dark gray counters, and some white and off white cabinets. I want to paint the walls a great color and not blue or gray-have tried those sampl...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 20, 2016
How to install shower into older house?

What is the best way to install a one piece shower into an older house when nothing is square? My parents recently moved an older house and built it on to their existing dwelling. In doing so they are co...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post September 9, 2016
Contractor charges for equipment usage under false charge

The contractor we hired to build a fence completed the job. However, the contractor is charging us twice for difficult post digging. First as per the contract, a surcharge of difficult post digging per ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 16, 2016
Installing hardwood over hardwood - asbestos issue

Some background: My husband and I purchased a home recently built in 1940. It's a beautiful white stucco french chateau looking house on a large piece of property. Sounds nice right? It sure is e...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 16, 2016
Stamped concrete patio, and 2" styrofoam

Hello, Hole is dug, and will be filled with granular A. Do the styrofoam sheets get placed on top of the gravel and immediately below the concrete pad to be poured (and stamped)? I'...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 14, 2016
Cost for basement renovation

Hi, I'm buying a house with already finished basement with laminate floor. Can a washroom be added now? What is the cost for adding a separate entrance, washroom and a small kitchen in GTA...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 14, 2016
Creaking bathtubs

My contractor installed bathtubs and when you stand in them they creak. How big of a problem is this?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post August 17, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x