Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Repair and maybe reduce size of concrete slab?

We have a detached garage that is currently 12x18'. The concrete slab it sits on is uneven - whenever we get a big rain or snowmelt in the spring, about half of it floods with up to an inch of water. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 14, 2016
Adding garage to side of sidesplit

I'm looking to add a small garage to the side of my sidesplit in Burlington. Approximate size would be 8.5'x21'. Anyone else done something like this, and have an idea of cost and look? N...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 16, 2016
Asbestos in bagged insulation

I know without testing it's almost impossible to know if something contains asbestos. I've had two people view the image below: One person says it's a 85% chance it's asbestos wool...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 12, 2016
Cost for renovation and adding additional square footage in Surrey

According to our zone, we can add up to 1700 square feet to our existing 1825 square foot home in Surrey, BC. How much would renovations with moving some wall to the existing floor plan and the additio...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 12, 2016
Can we build a garage under a raised ranch as seen on new constructions?

We have a three bedroom raised ranch house in the City. Our lot will not accommodate an addition of a garage on the driveway side. I am wondering if our basement (half) can be converted into a garage&...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 11, 2016
Need permit to install new windows?

Removal of old windows brick to brick and installation of new windows. Do the window installers/contractors require any building permits from the town or special licensing?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 11, 2016
Power panel surge protection

An electrician has offered to supply and install a surge protector at the power panel as a costed option in a proposal for other, unrelated work. We have lived in this house for 25 years and have not experi...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 19, 2016
Staircase staining cost

Hi, We are changing our floor colour to a darker tone. We would like our staircase to be stained to match. How much would this cost? There are 15 stairs each with 2 spindles. One side railing oth...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post August 8, 2016
Bathtub quality

Does anyone have experience with the quality and durability of maax and mirolin acrylic tubs. Need advice....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 14, 2019
Heat recovery ventilation system

How much would a heat recovery ventilation system cost for a 2000 sq. ft house - which brings fresh outdoor air and removes stale indoor air?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post August 9, 2016
Basement blanket insulation in new Mattamy home

We have the dark type blanket insulation. Roxul? Around 4 basement window openings the blankets are trimmed and tuck taped with red tuck tape that is coming off, not holding and the insulation is expose...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 13, 2016
How much would a kitchen like this cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 16, 2017
Can a contractor hold back more then 10% because the builder hasn't paid him?

I was called to provide an estimate to Tap/Mud a commercial job and I provided an estimate of $5,500 + HST. All materials were supplied by the contractor however ran out 3 times. There was an ag...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post September 4, 2016
Cost for windows

Hi there, We live in Edmonton and I am wondering what the cost would be to add a window to our main floor. Our house is your average 2 storey, built in 2009. Thanks!...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 5, 2016
Concrete deck piers

During the rebuild of my deck around my pool, I had to excavate soil from around some of my deck piers to accommodate a retaining wall. In some instances, I had to lower the grade 18" and now I a...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post August 5, 2016
Fuse box replacement

Dear TrustedPros, In the condo that where I live, the electrical fuse box looks like its from the 1970's. Still works, but yesterday one of the fuse blew. I attempted to replace it with the c...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post August 4, 2016
Damaged engineered hardwood floor in kitchen. Options?

Hi TrustedPros community, I had an incident and wanted to read your opinion on what are my alternatives. I am a renter that just moved into a condo. Unfortunately, during the move-in unpacking, I...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post August 3, 2016
Water valve not shutting off

When I turn the vavle near the water meter it seems that it is not shutting off the water, as I must've turned it 40 times. Is there a second valve in the house? I looked above the drop down ceiling...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post October 20, 2016
What are the benefits of schluter kerdi over a brush-on rubberized product for water barrier?

I'm renovating two bathrooms and want a water barrier in the shower and bathtub area. What's the benefits of schluter kerdi over a brush-on rubberized product?...

Number of Responses 11 Date of Last Post August 13, 2016
Basement foundation movement

I have a situation where a telepost is pushing up on a floor beam at the inside corner of an L-shaped stair to the basement. This has caused the wall which is supported by the beam to penetrate the ceiling plan...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post August 2, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x