Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Old squeaking floor

What is a solution for 60 year old squeaking floors? Please advise. Thanks....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post May 29, 2016
What does it cost to wire a 4000 sq ft new home?

My husband and I just bought a lot in town of Peterborough. What are the going rates to wire a house of this size? What are the going hourly rates and costs per sq foot or opening. I've been told t&#...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 28, 2016
Renovation Estimates in Winnipeg

**For some reason the photos did not attach, I will update this post later with images** Hi experts, and thanks for reading! I'm a first-time home buyer in Winnipeg in the early stages of ...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 26, 2016
Independent contractor hiring assistant

Who is liable if a worker hired as an assistant to an independent contractor injures himself on the job site? Is it the independent contractor, the assistant or the home owner who hired the independent ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 26, 2016
What's the difference in price - Architect vs Home Designer?

I'm looking to get full home renovation, including changing the roof line. What is the cost difference between using an architect versus a home designer (Architect Technician)? I know a ho...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 22, 2017
Hammering nails into the neighbors fence

Can I hammer a nail into my next door neighbors wooden fence, that is between our properties? I want to put up a few hooks etc...maybe a trellis....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 26, 2016
Pergola cost?

What is the going rate in southern Ontario for labor cost to build a pergola?...

Deck drawings for permits?

Just wondering where a good site or place to go to learn about deck drawings as I have had a couple customers want drawings and I don't have the software or knowledge to provide them I can definitely build ...

Deposit to contractor

I have to pay a deposit to the contractor. I would like to know the implications of issueing the cheque in the name of the contractor, as he requested, instead of in the name of his company. Also...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 26, 2016
Cost of moving an existing 15 by 10 ft awning

Just wondering what it would cost approximately. Thanks...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 25, 2016
Hourly rates

What hourly rate can I expect to be charged to perform the following: deck repair change some light fixtures replace a toilet and fix a leaky faucet drywall repair and painting Thanks...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 26, 2016
Insulate under basement floor slab, soil gases?

Building a new home and trying to get an opinion regarding placing 1 1/2" of rigid insulation under the floor slab. The floor may or may not be heated but in any event would like to add some protection...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 17, 2016
Pre-fab homes

Can anyone give opinion about prefab homes? I have a run down bungalow and I am thinking about gutting it and getting a simple house made on the property. Does anyone have experience with prefab? How...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post January 6, 2017
Cost to build shell of a home in St. John's, NL

Hi, I was wondering how much contractors are charging in St. John's, NL to build the shell of a home. Including the framing, siding, shingles, windows and doors. Been looking onl...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2016
Fence between neighbours

When one neighbour wants a fence put up and the other does not, but the neighbour is putting it up anyway, whose side gets the flat side?...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 24, 2016
2 Story addition plus loft attic in Ottawa

Hi pros, I am looking to build a 2 story addition plus loft attic onto my current house. Each floor would be around 650 square feet. The main floor would be a kitchen and livingroom. The second level wo...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 23, 2016
Deck pricing

I'm looking to have a deck installed, approx 10'x10'. Whats the pricing diffrence between PT, Cedar and Composite?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post May 23, 2016
Cost of eavestrough, fascia and soffits in Edmonton area?

What is the cost of eavestrough, fascia and sofits in Edmonton area?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 22, 2016
Cost for house framing

Was wondering how much per square foot someone would charge to frame my house in Fort McMurray? What would the going rate be for a subcontractor?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post May 20, 2016
Cost of moving an exterior door

Hi there, What would it cost to close off an existing exterior kitchen door, and have a nearby window turned into the doorway instead? The heights of the existing doorway and window are the same...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 20, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x