Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Advice on building a deck

Hello, I am building a deck, 250 sq ft with no railings and stairs or anything, just a simple n plain deck, basically 2 feet above the ground so it's level to the backyard door. Can ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 10, 2016
Cost to paint stucco walls outside?

How much can you charge for painting stucco walls outside in BC, Canada? Thanks, Norbert...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 10, 2016
Approximate cost to raise a 25 x 30 cottage and add a basement

We are looking to increase the space on our cottage in Simcoe County and were trying to figure out if we should raise it and add a basement... t currently has a 4 foot crawl space. Or if we should just add on a...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 9, 2016
How much extra do you guys charge for high floor reno?

Hi guys, How much extra would you charge for 17th floor reno compare to a house? It's a complete 1800 sq/ft tear down that I would estimate around $70.000 if that would be house or semi...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 8, 2016
How much for labor to install a tub surround?

Labour cost to install acrylic tub surround?...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 7, 2016
Main floor sq ft

Are the basement stairway walls considered part of the main floor? My understanding is that the entry going into the basement is considered part of the basement and not the main level....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 10, 2016
Labour cost for deck and pergola installation

Labour only cost to install a 11x 21' deck, free standing on 3 beams 2' off grade including a small 3 x 7' stoop 2 steps high on top of deck to access a door. Also want to install 20' of woo...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 10, 2016
Can I install a deck railing (guard)?

I have just purchased a resale home. The owner installed a new cedar deck in late fall, but did not complete the construction - so it is currently not to code. The deck is over 24" in height and has no ...

Number of Responses 16 Date of Last Post October 21, 2016
basement repair

My basement was flooded (dried now). I only want to know the estimate including the tearing....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post April 6, 2016
Can I remove wood above 31 inch wide door?

I would like to remove a 2 inch piece of wood above 31 inch door frame. This was an old exterior foundation wall prior to a house extension. There is a crack in the foundation above the door. Would removing the...

Number of Responses 10 Date of Last Post April 5, 2016
Cost for installation of James Hardie siding

Hey guys, Anyone know what the labour cost of James hardie products runs at? Looking to get a good idea of cost....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 2, 2017
How much would this basement cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 5, 2016
Do building codes apply when fixing a flooded apartment?

My apartment building in Toronto recently had a flood that damaged one of our units... the original construction was plaster and lathe. The contractor that was brought in to repair the apartment ripped out ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 4, 2016
Need waterproofing input

The house is 100 years old. We dug the ground outside to reveal the wall to waterproof but it turned out there is only like a foot or two of flagstone acting as a footing to hold the house up (meaning there...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 5, 2016
Cost to put bathroom in basement

What is the average cost of total bathroom in basement?...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post April 19, 2016
Advice for painting staircases

Painting staircase. I have a 3 storey town home. Have to paint 3 sets of stairs. Approx 80 spindles. 40 treds 44 risers 50ft hand rail stringers on the 1 side carpet was removed existing is stained all brown on...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 6, 2016
Looking for experienced waterproofing contractor

I'm a local contractor myself looking for an experienced waterproofing expert who has a moment to chat via the phone to help me on a issue. Post a reply if you can help and I'll msg you....

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post April 3, 2016
Waterproofing basement

The house is over 100 years old. There is a wall in the basement with water seepage. There is no foundation on the outside of the house as its sitting on a couple feet of rounded stones and then on dirt and und...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 4, 2016
Fair price for framing extension and minor renovations?

Hello, I'm building a a two story extension with some minor renovations to existing. I have been quoted 12.50 per square foot (labour). From what I can find this seems unreasonably high. I...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 2, 2016
Would finishing basement void terrion warranty?

I would love to finish my basement in the next 3 months. It's a new build but have been told that if anything were to happen it would void my terrion warranty. The house has been up for almost a year now. W...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post April 1, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x