Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Questions re bathtub to tiled shower reno

I am hoping to get my bathroom renovated -- from a standard plain-jane bathtub-shower to a tiled walk-in shower (as well as replacing the floor, sink, toilet and fixtures). It's m...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 15, 2016
What is a typical down payment percentage?

What is typically a down payment percentage that a contractor will request and what is suggested?...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 14, 2016
Walk me through finishing a basement

My townhome is about 5 yrs old in Richmond Hill. My basement is a walk out, about 850 sf. About 40% of it is already framed from the builder. The entire basement has insulation from top to bottom.. ...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post May 7, 2016
Basement wall repair

Our house was built around 1920, and has old cement walls that are about 3 - 4 feet thick in places and are only about 6 feet high. Is it possible to have them replaced with narrower ones? Also, i...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 14, 2016
Remove bridging blocks for potlights

Hello, We are installing pot lights in the basement. Basement is finished and a few pot lights come directly under the cross bridging. I like where the pot lights are being installed. My question is...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 15, 2016
Cost to transform my detached garage into a comercial kitchen

I would love to transform my detached garage into a commercial kitchen, but I want to know the cost before I commence with all the paper works. I live in BC. Any ideas as to what it would cost me please?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 12, 2016
Cost to move a lightswitch

How much would it cost to move a lightswitch? I have two switches that need moving. One would be a few feet (interior wall). The other would be to the other side of a doorway (on the inside...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 12, 2016
700sq' framing 2180sq' drywall walls 775 ceiling and insulate how much /sq' with and with out materials

Drywall instull mud tape sand cost sq' Insulate basement ceiling sq' Framing walls sq' It's a basement, Reno clean jobsite never been touched...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 11, 2016
Cost for bathtub refinishing

Hi, I have an old blue bath tub which I want to refinish it white. What is your estimated cost? Thanks for help....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 10, 2016
What is the cost per square foot to build a mid range home in Abbotsford BC

We are looking to move to Abbotsford and want to build a new home what homes are the lowest cost per square foot split level, two story, rancher, etc. Of those what is the average price per square f...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 14, 2016
cost of raising a 700 sq ft cottage

I am wanting to see if I can salvage what appears to be a tear down cottage. It would require either raising the cottage and pouring a foundation and rebuilding the floor foundation. Also am not certain if al...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 10, 2016
Possible Load Bearing Wall removal (drawings and work)

1. What is the ballpark figure to get drawings from a structural engineer to remove a possible load bearing wall (it could be non-bearing) from the main floor (there is a basement underneath and sec...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 11, 2016
How to deal with clogged drain

Water from the kitchen sink bubbled up in the bath tub.. Toilet when flushed, did not drain, also bubbled up in bath tub. on the main floor. I tried to use the plunger and found later that water was ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 10, 2016
cost to install load bearing beam

how much should I pay if I need to istull safety beam to hold the main floor from the basement to build a supporting wall 2 X 6 X10 (under the kithcen) how much for beaming how much for building the w...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 14, 2016
Can a Handyman pull permits for homeowner?

Can a handyman (not licensed contractor) pull out permits on behalf of the home owner? Or only a contractor is able to? Also, what type of work would need permits/drawings - stair ref...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post May 25, 2019
Cost for basement drywall

Quote for drywall job: mud, tape, sand rec room ceiling & 3 walls. Room is roughly 24Lx14W, walls are roughly 8' H x 24L, x15L, x10L. Cost and length of time. Thank you....

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 10, 2016
Cost to remove load bearing wall and install 22' support beam?

How much would it cost to remove a load bearing wall and install a support beam, approximately 22' on the main floor of a bungalow?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 10, 2016
Do I replace countertop to install under counter sink?

I have a kitchen sink that is over the counter. Can I buy a new under the countertop sink and just install it or to I have to replace the countertop as well?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 24, 2016
What should I pay for a condo reno that includes everything?

My condo was built in 1977 and has all the original fixtures etc. I want to gut it and redo the whole thing. Is there a way to evaluate how much is too much when considering quotes for the job?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 10, 2016
Cost for basement renovation

Hi there, I have a 640 sq ft basement that I would like to finish. Wide open with 2 rooms, a 3 piece washroom and a laundry room. The floor will need to be broken to relocate the drain and plumbing....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 9, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x