Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
What should I pay for a condo reno that includes everything?

My condo was built in 1977 and has all the original fixtures etc. I want to gut it and redo the whole thing. Is there a way to evaluate how much is too much when considering quotes for the job?...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 10, 2016
Cost for basement renovation

Hi there, I have a 640 sq ft basement that I would like to finish. Wide open with 2 rooms, a 3 piece washroom and a laundry room. The floor will need to be broken to relocate the drain and plumbing....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 9, 2016
Cost to build new house?

What is the cost per square foot of building a house in Mississauga, Ontario? I have an empty lot and would like to build on it. Only looking for cost for now. ...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 8, 2016
Cost for single floor addition

I'm looking to build an addition to my house in Hamilton. 20'x16' with unfinished basement and a flat roof. No plumbing. Stucco siding with picture windows and one patio door. Only looking for c...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 7, 2016
Difference between on grade slab and excavated foundation?

I am looking to build an addition for a family room on the back of my two story home in Hamilton. What is the cost difference between an on grade slab with foundation vs. a fully excavated poured foundation?...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post March 7, 2016
Cost for hardwood floor refinishing

60~70 square feet floor, over16 years old. Needs refinishing (include change color) I want to know how much it would cost. Only looking for cost right now. ...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 7, 2016
What load can steel I-beam handle?

Hello, I have in the Basement Steel I-Beam spanning 27'7" ft. It has a post supporter in the middle of the beam. I was wondering what is the load this beam can handle? Does any one know th...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post March 7, 2016
Is building permit required for ensuite?

I am looking to have an ensuite bathroom added to my house. This will involve adding a non loading bearing wall. I know I will have to have a plumbing and electrical permit but was unsure about a building permi...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post March 6, 2016
How does running my own business and having another job work?

So I recently got offered another construction job but want to keep my own business doing renovations open, I was just wondering how does it work for tax purposes and such. Like owning my own business im...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 14, 2016
Cost to open up a kitchen/living room with a load bearing wall?

We have a small home and would like to open it up to add light and improve the flow the kitchen would be totally redone as well. Only looking for cost at this time. Thanks ...

Why is my back yard slowly collapsing?

I am the second owner of the said property. I have a pool in the back yard that was put in when the house was built (2004)and before the property behind me had their house built. The first sign of the...

Moving toilet line through joist

I need to move toilet line away from window to have full access. Question: can I run through joist or remove 90 deg and install 2 x 45 deg? Any easy solution?...

Number of Responses 12 Date of Last Post March 26, 2016
How thick should concrete be for a 10x10 shed foundation?

I'd like to build a foundation for a shed and wanted to know how thick the base needs to be to support a shed with a snowblower and lawn mower....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post March 4, 2016
How much would this bathroom cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post March 6, 2016
How much would this bathroom cost?

I found this picture on TrustedPros and may be interested in a similar project but would first like to know what the estimated cost would be....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 6, 2016
Where can I find this wallpaper?

So I just posted a question about how to fix my wall. Seems I need the matching wallpaper but I have no idea where to find it. It's completely white. The light from my phone made a yellow hue to it. But I&#...

How can I fix this wall with the wallpaper still intact?

So I got quite the surprise today. First my child rips off the trims on the wall. Now she's pealing the wallpaper off the drywall. Is there a way to fix this without replacing the entire wall and how can I ...

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post March 5, 2016
What to do about contractor who won't fix his mistakes?

Basically everything hd did he did wrong and it all leaks and I was going to call the police but I doubt they will do anything. How do I make him fix his mistakes? I am really at a loss and just want my bat...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post March 4, 2016
Fuse panel to circuit breaker panel

I am currently renovating my basement however I still have the old 100Amp fuse panel. I do not have any problems currently and have no plans for additional heavy power demand other than a new electric fireplace...

Number of Responses 9 Date of Last Post March 9, 2016
What is a good estimating software?

Hello, I've previously used Xactimate for renovations and insurance work but am not happy with their price point on their products at $1500.00 a year or $250 a month. Has anyone used other...

Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x