Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Is it possible to replace kitchen floor without removing cabinets?

My new kitchen was built on top of my old floor. My friend who is a German custom cabinet maker installed a beautiful wood finish cabinet using hardware from his company. I am reluctant to tear apart my kitchen...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 12, 2015
Are there different types of electrical outlets?

I've bought a reno in which some of the outlets don't accept the cord when I try to plug it in. The openings are too narrow for the standard plug. Why is this?...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 11, 2015
What would the cost be to install a hood fan for a basement kitchen?

Just creating a suite in lower level and looking for cost right now. Thanks....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post July 9, 2015
Can I cut side beam of staircase?

Am I able to cut the side of the stairs to expose each step or will it affect the integrity of the staircase? **See pictures. One is my staircase and the other is what I want....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post March 1, 2016
Price per sq ft of painting?

If I am quoted a price of, say $1 per square footage of painting, does that $1 include 2 coats or just one? Does 2 coats become $2 per sq ft? Thanks in advance....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post October 28, 2015
Is a license required for home renovations?

Looking for electricians is simple as well as plumbers as they have to have official BC license accreditation. Wish to understand what to ask for when hiring other contractors. Does a professional licence ex...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 6, 2015
Proper method to lay natural paving stones on a walkway?

Hello Pros! I'm planning to replace the grassy area @ the side of my house with a clean, no maintenance walkway with 18" x 36" sandstone pavers similar to: http://www.houz...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post July 5, 2015
Cost to build a stud wall and drywall it?

Need a rough idea what I am looking at to build a stud wall and have it drywalled....

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post January 30, 2016
Lien rights

Is any of our suppliers entitled to registering a lien in any of our projects that he may know the name even if he never worked in the premises? Just supplied some services at his own location/shop?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post July 1, 2015
Is there roll-away screening for doors?

I have a double garden door that opens from both sides in my kitchen to the deck and want to know if you can get roll-away screening put up instead of the 1 door screen on a track (that keeps coming off the...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post June 25, 2015
Does wine fridge need dedicated circuit?

We are installing a small 24 inch under cabinet builtin wine fridge. Wondering if it needs a dedicated circuit like a full size refrigerator does? Easiest for us is to tap into the 110v outlet for our g...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 25, 2015
What is this concrete pad used for when removing load bearing wall?

We had an architect provide drawings to remove a load bearing wall down the center of the house on the first floor. He designed it so that there are no columns and the engineer verified that the load should be...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 22, 2015
Is it possible to build a PT fence directly on top of a PT retaining wall?

I currently have a retaining wall made from PT Mini Ties and it will need to be replaced. I am wondering if I replace it with PT 6x6 if I can put a PT fence directly on top of it to get a clean finished look...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 21, 2015
What is the going rate for painting doors/frames?

Price for mdf and price for metal. Thanks....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 19, 2015
Cost per sqft to painting in Alberta?

What is the going rate per sqft for painting in Alberta? Walls including the paint. Thanks....

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post June 19, 2015
Cost to finish basement?

I have a 1500 sq ft unfinished basement that I need finished. Just the outside walls for now. No kitchen or bathroom. What would be the average price to frame, board and tape the outer wall? Also wan...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post June 21, 2015
Cost to build deck?

Hello, My neighbor recently had a contractor build a deck on his home (see attached photos). It measures 1,000 square feet in size. He paid $35,500 after taxes. I'm thinkin...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post June 20, 2015
What is the going rate for drywall?

What is the going rate to hang drywall per square foot? And also, to mud & tape per square foot?...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post June 19, 2015
What are my consumer rights if deck I had built is not to my satisfaction?

The contractor we hired just finished our deck, a large 550sq ft built around an oval pool. He is demanding his final payment and we are hesitant to pay him since there are still problem areas to be addres...

Number of Responses 14 Date of Last Post July 8, 2015
What to do about a company I'm unhappy with?

I hired a company (a 2 man company locally). Asked for a quote and gave a blueprint to him and asked for a quote. I advised him the most I want to pay. He gave me back a quote and on it it said a pric...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post June 21, 2015
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x