Categories

Home Improvements

Ask questions or search for specific information in the Home Improvements section.

Have a question about a home improvement project? This section is a grab bag for general home improvement questions ranging from repairing trim to managing cost overruns and everything in between. Find your topic using the handy search button or simply browse the threads.

Can't find the answer you're looking for? Post your question and let our helpful contractor pros provide you with their opinions and advice.

Post a Question:

Recent Discussions
Best alternative to warming cold basement floors without installing floor heating?

We would like to renovate our basement. I have a very large basement floor (1500sq ft) that is cold. We currently have one gas fireplace and forced air heating- the ceilings are 9'. In floor heating...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 6, 2015
Can a cold room be converted to a dry storage room?

I would like to convert my cold room to a dry storage room where I can store suitcases, Christmas decorations, winter boots, etc and I would like to know if it is possible to do. Any assistance ...

Number of Responses 4 Date of Last Post May 14, 2015
Best way to colour match EIFS stucco?

Can EIFS stucco be painted, or can a second coat be applied to match colours?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 4, 2015
How to make custom air duct for air conditioner?

I have a wall mounted interior air conditioner. The way it is installed it does not shoot the cold air into my bedroom because my bedroom doorway is adjacent to it. I would need to make a detachable air duc...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post May 4, 2015
What is life span of copper water pipe in West Vancouver?

Hi, My water main copper pipe is 28 year old, no leaks yet but West Vancouver home inspector advised me to replace it while I'm doing my house renovation. This pipe is located under my concrete d...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 29, 2015
Best to raise house and dig up basement or build a new house?

We bought a 1970s (kind of) home just over a year ago. 1/2 of the basement is slab/concrete foundation but the other half is 4' of dirt/gravel. We think the part of the house over the ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 29, 2015
How to soundproof walls?

I need to make one wall in my room sound proof. I don't want to rip open the whole wall. Can I just cut holes at the top and fill it up with some kind of spray sound proofing material? If there is an...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 28, 2015
Does basement ceiling have to be closed to cover wiring for final inspection?

I am near my final inspection. I have closed in the wiring and boxes in the basement walls. The ceiling is open, with all my lighting boxes containing fixtures or capped off and cover plates installed. The ...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 28, 2015
Options for 65 year old house?

I recently purchased a 65 year old house on a nice lot. My original intention was to tear down the property and construct a new one. However, my ignorance made me believe this was possible. I came to rea...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 27, 2015
How to know if an Electrician is licensed?

How do I know that an electrician is licensed for new construction? What do I ask him for? Is there a board that I can call to find out if this electrician is certified and insured and his work is up...

Number of Responses 7 Date of Last Post April 24, 2015
What to do about unfinished work?

We are getting our bathroom redone. The work started on April 19 and was suppose to take 2 to 3 weeks, it's been 5. It is almost finished and we've really enjoyed the contractors that have come in t...

Number of Responses 6 Date of Last Post April 24, 2015
Cost for kitchen renovation?

How much would something like this cost?...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 15, 2015
How much to install fresh air and combustion intakes?

First time home buyer looking for general #'s....

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 14, 2015
Cost to install radiant heat?

My house is brand new, foundation poured 14 months ago. I want to install radiant heat in the basement using a tankless unit that will also provide hot water to the rest of the house. My basement (not...

Number of Responses 1 Date of Last Post April 14, 2015
When is the best time to install fence in backyard?

Is Spring a good time to do fence, say March, April or May. Thanks for allowing me to ask about fence....

Number of Responses 8 Date of Last Post July 26, 2015
What to do when new furnace fails inspection?

I hired an HVAC guy to replace a furnace. The permit was pulled, I checked. However the inspection has failed twice now because the vent is not 4 ft from the property line. This house is now sold and the ne...

Number of Responses 0 Date of Last Post April 10, 2015
How to fill gap on newly installed engineered flooring?

I have recently installed some prefinished engineered t and g flooring and have discoverd a small gap about 5 rows back. Since this is glue together floor, any ideas to fill this gap in? It's an 12....

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 11, 2015
Cost for cement floor?

I have a sun porch - approximately 15' X 33', on a cement block foundation. The crawlspace is 4' high. I would like to fill the crawlspace floor with a rough concrete floor. What would th...

Number of Responses 2 Date of Last Post April 17, 2015
Where can I get fire rated interior pocket doors that meet BC building codes?

Hi, I am building a house and the design calls for two interior pocket doors that are fire rated up to BC building codes as it would separate a shared space and then a separate suite. Any ideas on wher...

Number of Responses 3 Date of Last Post April 7, 2015
Cost to paint and add more cupboards?

How much would it cost to paint cupboards and add a few more cupboard? I need more cupboards but I hate the red color on the cupboards I have right now. Only looking for estimates right now. Thank...

Number of Responses 5 Date of Last Post July 16, 2016
Categories

Get quotes from top-rated contractors

x